COLUMBUS, Ind., May 18, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CMI) has released its 2014-2015 Sustainability Progress Report and Executive Summary.
The more than 130-page report and the 32-page summary include stories, photos and statistics about the Company's sustainability efforts over the past 12 months. Both the report and summary can be found at Cummins' Sustainability website, http://www.cummins.com/sustainability.
This year's theme is "The Power of Cummins." The Company takes a broad view of sustainability including the environment and community service as well as health and safety, diversity, governance and financial performance. The goal of the report is to show how Cummins is putting its power to work in all of these important areas to build a stronger company and stronger communities around the world.
The report's cover story is on the increasingly important role Cummins' engines are playing in passenger rail in North America to help move people more efficiently and with less impact on the environment. The Company's QSK95, the largest engine Cummins has ever built, is the engine of choice for Siemens' new Charger locomotive. Meanwhile, Cummins' QSK19-R is powering new rail service planned for Toronto, Canada and suburban San Francisco, California (U.S.A).
Other report highlights include:
- New environmental sustainability goals for Cummins products in use and logistics. The new goals are in addition to the waste, water and energy goals the Company established in 2014.
- Updates on the 2014 goals explaining that Cummins is very close to reaching its energy goals that the Company expected to reach in 2015 and the significant progress it made to reach its waste and water goals it expected to reach by 2020.
- A new section devoted to innovation, one of the Company's six core values. The section looks at several examples of innovation at Cummins over the past year in and outside product development.
- The story behind the ETHOS 2.8L engine, which used bio fuel and start-stop technology to significantly reduce carbon dioxide emissions during testing in 2014.
- The long journey traveled by dedicated Cummins workers to bring the Company's 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel to life.
- How Cummins is helping to power cell phone towers in Myanmar that will open the country to the outside world.
- How Cummins employees removed a record amount of greenhouse gases as part of the Company's popular Environmental Challenge competition.
- A story on a Cummins Corporate Responsibility program that is partnering with other companies and a local university to help women obtain technical skills in Turkey.
- A story on outstanding customer service in the delivery of power generators to Madagascar in time for the holiday season in 2014.
The Company also announced it will be posting a new report called its Sustainability Data Book in late May or early June. It will include all of the statistics in the Sustainability Progress Report plus some additional data, especially involving environmental sustainability.
Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service diesel and natural gas engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, (USA) Cummins currently employs approximately 48,000 people worldwide and serves customers in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of approximately 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 6,500 dealer locations. Cummins earned $1.48 billion on sales of $17.3 billion in 2013. Press releases can be found on the Web at www.cummins.com. Follow Cummins on Twitter at @Cummins and on YouTube at CumminsInc.
CONTACT: Jon Mills Director - External Communications (317) 658-4540 firstname.lastname@example.org