DALLAS, Texas (May 20, 2015) (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — MoneyGram (NASDAQ: MGI), a global provider of innovative money transfer services, today announced eight grants across six countries from MoneyGram Foundation. For the first grant cycle of 2015, the foundation will renew support to six innovative educational programs operating in India, Colombia, Mexico, Vietnam and Pakistan, as well as fund two new Dallas-based organizations.
"With over $1 million in grants to date covering nearly 30 countries, the MoneyGram Foundation is significantly improving education for tens of thousands of children where MoneyGram's customers live and work," said Pamela H. Patsley, MoneyGram International's chairman and CEO. "By creating long-term relationships with innovative non-profit organizations, the foundation will continue to transform the global educational landscape and change lives."
The recipients in the foundation's first grant round of 2015 include:
- Agastya International Foundation, to renew funding for the operation of three mobile science labs in rural regions of India.
- Children of Vietnam, to construct a two-classroom kindergarten and primary school in the remote Tay Gaing District of Quang Nam Province, Vietnam.
- Developments in Literacy, to fund three schools in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, to further educate and empower underprivileged students and provide professional development to the schools' teachers and principals.
- Grants for Innovative Teaching through the Junior League of Dallas, to fund innovative teaching programs in the Dallas Independent School District (DISD). These grants fund projects in science, technology, engineering, math and literacy that are not otherwise earmarked in district budgets.
- Niños en Alegría in El Conchero, Mexico, to rebuild a primary school. The MoneyGram Foundation and the United Way will co-sponsor the renovation of the Cuitlahuac school.
- One Laptop Per Child (OLPC), to fund a technology project in Bogota, Colombia, that will supply underprivileged public schools with laptops as well as technology kits to teach computer programing and robotics.
The MoneyGram Foundation also distributed two new grants supporting schools in Dallas, Texas where MoneyGram's global headquarters are located. Funds were awarded to the Mayor's Star Council to support community leadership projects in five under-resourced high schools in South Dallas and Oak Cliff, and to D Magazine's Big D Reads literacy program.
The MoneyGram Foundation will distribute two more rounds of grants in 2015. To learn more about the MoneyGram Foundation and the projects it supports, please visit moneygramfoundation.org.
About MoneyGram Foundation
MoneyGram established the MoneyGram Foundation in 2012 to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources. Its mission is firmly rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment. The MoneyGram Foundation is focused on inspiring minds and improving lives and grants funds to deserving organizations with this mission in mind. To learn more, please visit moneygramfoundation.org or connect with us on Facebook.
About MoneyGram Inc.
MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. Whether online, or through a mobile device, at a kiosk or in a local store, we connect consumers any way that is convenient for them. We also provide bill payment services, issue money orders and process official checks in select markets. More information about MoneyGram International, Inc. is available at moneygram.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Michelle Buckalew firstname.lastname@example.org 214-979-1418
Source:MoneyGram International, Inc.