BARRE, Vt., May 21, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Northern Power Systems (TSX:NPS), a leading renewable energy technology company, has today launched the next generation of its FlexPhase™ power converter platform specifically engineered to be integrated with energy storage systems and used in grid support applications.
Originally developed in 2009 as part of the company's wind product line, the FlexPhase platform has been designed from the ground up with a unique circuit design that yields high performance with less component stress, lower cost, and higher reliability than traditional 2-level converters. Northern Power Systems' patented, bi-directional FlexPhase converter is qualified for utility-scale Energy Storage Systems (ESS) where there is a growing need to address multiple applications and requirements. The features of this state-of-the-art system include:
- Modular design
- Customizable architecture
- Microgrid ready
- High efficiency over wide power range
The FlexPhase power converter provides a full suite of control capabilities to support energy storage applications, including:
- Low and zero voltage ride through
- Voltage and frequency droop control
- Islanding detection and seamless transition
- Critical load support/UPS operation
- Black start capability
- Minimal DC bus ripple
The FlexPhase power converter platform is entering one of the fastest growing sectors in the energy market as the global installed energy storage for grid capacity is expected to grow from 538.4 megawatts in 2014 to 20.8 gigawatts in 2024. Whether for frequency regulation, load shifting/time shifting or microgrid applications, the FlexPhase power converter is key in extracting efficiencies and value from energy storage solutions. The technology works equally well for any type of energy storage, whether mechanical (flywheel) or chemical (flow, sodium nickel chloride, lithium-ion, lead-acid and others) as its inherent design allows for immediate frequency response and easy integration.
Troy Patton, chief executive officer and president of Northern Power Systems, commented, "Customers value our proven, flexible and reliable technology, and this solution combined with their own technology allows unique and market leading capabilities that enable excellent results. Our track record in renewable friendly and smart power electronics installed globally in over 500 of our NPS 100/60 wind turbines and the utility scale AGW 2.1 MW wind turbines leverages years of experience and knowledge for the benefit of our customers."
The FlexPhase power converter will have its industry debut at the Energy Storage Association's 25th Annual Conference and Expo in Dallas, Texas from 27-29 May, 2015.
About Northern Power Systems
- Northern Power Systems designs, manufactures, and sells wind turbines and power technology products, and provides engineering development services and technology licenses for energy applications, into the global marketplace from its US headquarters and European offices
- Northern Power Systems has over 40 years' experience in technologies and products generating renewable energy
- Northern Power Systems currently manufactures the NPS™ 60 and NPS™ 100 turbines. With over 7.5 million run time hours across its global fleet, Northern Power wind turbines provide customers with clean, cost effective, reliable renewable energy
- Patented next generation permanent magnet direct drive (PMDD) technology uses fewer moving parts, delivers higher energy capture, and provides increased reliability due to reduced maintenance and downtime.
- Northern Power Systems' FlexPhase™ power converter platform uses patented converter architecture and advanced controls technology for advanced grid support and generation applications
- Northern Power Systems offers comprehensive in‐house development services, including systems level engineering, advanced drivetrains, power electronics, PM machine design, and remote monitoring systems to the energy industry
- Some of the world's largest manufacturers license the company's next generation technology and IP for their utility and distributed wind products and markets
Discover more about Northern Power Systems.
Notice regarding forward-looking statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Northern Power Systems and its business, which may include, but is not limited to, product and financial performance, regulatory developments, anticipated opportunity and trends for growth in our customer base and our overall business, our market opportunity, and execution of the company's growth strategy. Often, but not always, forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of words such as "plans", "is expected", "expects", "scheduled", "intends", "contemplates", "anticipates", "believes", "proposes" or variations (including negative variations) of such words and phrases, or state that certain actions, events or results "may", "could", "would", "might" or "will" be taken, occur or be achieved. Such statements are based on the current expectations of the management of Northern Power Systems. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur by certain specified dates or at all and could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting the company, including risks regarding the energy industry; production, performance and acceptance of the company's products; our sales cycle; performance by the company's suppliers; our ability to maintain successful relationships with our partners and to enter into new partner relationships; our performance internationally; currency fluctuations; economic factors; competition; the equity markets generally; and the other risks detailed in Northern Power Systems' risk factors discussed in filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC"), including but not limited to Northern Power Systems' Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on March 31, 2015, as well as other documents that may be filed by Northern Power Systems from time to time with the SEC. Although Northern Power Systems has attempted to identify important factors that could cause actual actions, events or results to differ materially from those described in forward-looking statements, there may be other factors that cause actions, events or results to differ from those anticipated, estimated or intended. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Except as required by applicable securities laws, forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Northern Power Systems undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
CONTACT: John Ciempa +1 877 906 6784 email@example.com
Source:Northern Power Systems