- New data center solution is first to combine the benefits of cloud computing technologies and the requirements of telco domain
- Expands the reach of Nokia Networks' telco cloud portfolio, building the foundation for 5G deployments and providing unparalleled performance in the core and radio domains
- Major innovation step aimed at unlocking the opportunities of the Programmable World
ESPOO, Finland, June 1, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --
In its 150th anniversary year, Nokia continues to innovate and reinvent itself by being the first vendor to effectively merge the IT and telco cloud domains with the launch of its AirFrame Data Center Solution. This is the first offering that combines the benefits of cloud computing technologies with the stringent requirements of the core and radio in the telco world. The Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution is 5G-ready and supports the vision of a more flexible and distributed cloud architecture, which is the foundation to deliver the latency and data processing requirements of the future. The Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution is available now.
First solution to efficiently serve both the IT and telco worlds
The first steps for the telco cloud were focused on taking core applications to a virtualized environment, offering immediate benefits of added scalability, flexibility and business agility. However, when implementing a comprehensive telco cloud architecture operators are faced with strict latency requirements and an extremely high demand for processing power. The new AirFrame Data Center Solution is the first to directly address these requirements and effectively merge the telco and IT domains in one single solution, utilizing high performance Intel® technology.
In developing AirFrame, Nokia Networks has invested in further advancing the data center hardware technology. Its innovations will deliver acceleration capabilities that will help operator customers be more efficient and differentiate themselves in the market. To continue advancing its solutions, Nokia Networks has opened a dedicated R&D facility for data center technology development. With this solid foundation, the Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution brings what is needed to efficiently merge the IT and telco domains and pave the way towards 5G.
AirFrame: a unique way for operators to implement cloud:
- Offers significant efficiency gains when running data-demanding telco applications like mobile network Virtual Network Functions (VNFs)
- Fully compliant with IT standards and able to run the most common IT cloud applications in parallel to telco cloud
- Enables operators to implement not only their NFV strategy, but also expand into new business models, such as renting data center capacity for customers' IT applications
- Implements the most advanced telco cloud security practices, which have been tested and approved at the Nokia Security Center in Berlin
- Adheres to Nokia Networks' open standards approach as well as complies with ETSI NFV, ensuring the success of telco cloud deployments
- Ready for 5G, with an advanced cloud management solution to handle the telco cloud architecture (centralized / distributed), including security orchestration which automates and manages the lifecycle of security policies and security functions
- Ready to support several Nokia VNFs, including OSS/CEM and the company's recently announced Radio Cloud architecture
AirFrame components include:
- Nokia AirFrame Cloud Servers and Switches - Pre-integrated racks with ultra-dense servers, high performance switches and software defined storage, including Nokia Networks specific enhancements that make it more efficient than other solutions to run demanding VNFs
- Data center services - AirFrame is complemented by a suite of professional services provided by the company's services experts and geared to implement, monitor and operate telco cloud data centers
Sandra Rivera, Vice President and General Manager, Network Platforms Group, Intel, said: "We're pleased to support Nokia Networks on its path to provide a data center solution that fulfills the most demanding requirements of the telco cloud environment. We believe that combining Intel's leading processors and virtualization technologies with Nokia Networks' deep knowledge of the telecommunications market will accelerate adoption for cloud technologies deployed by leading operators worldwide."
Marc Rouanne, Executive Vice President, Mobile Broadband, Nokia Networks, said: "Nokia Networks is changing the game in telco cloud. We are taking on the IT-telco convergence with a new solution to challenge the traditional IT approach of the data center. From the beginning, Nokia Networks has been a forerunner in telco cloud innovation*. This newest solution brings telcos carrier-grade high availability, security-focused reliability as well as low latency, while leveraging the company's deep networks expertise and strong business with operators to address an increasingly cloud-focused market valued in the tens of billions of euros."
Press & industry analyst webcast:
Marc Rouanne, Executive Vice President, Mobile Broadband, Nokia Networks, and Henri Tervonen, Vice President, Mobile Broadband Architecture, Nokia Networks, will host a webcast and conference call for press and industry analysts on June 1, 2015 at 14:00 EET to discuss the launch.
To join the press & analyst webcast and slide show, please register here.
- Webpage: Nokia AirFrame Data Center Solution
- Executive Summary
- Photo: Nokia AirFrame Cloud Rack
- Photo: Nokia AirFrame Cloud Server
Connect with Nokia Networks:
TAGS: IT, data center, launch, mobile broadband, LTE, 5G, telco cloud, Global Services
By focusing on the human possibilities of technology, Nokia embraces the connected world to help people thrive. Our three businesses are leaders in their fields. Nokia Networks provides broadband infrastructure software and services, HERE provides mapping, navigation and location intelligence, and Nokia Technologies provides advanced technology development and licensing. www.nokia.com
Nokia Networks, which provides broadband infrastructure, software and services, operates at the forefront of our industry. From the first ever call on GSM to the first call on LTE, we have set the pace of innovation, a record that continues with future technologies such as 5G. Together with our operator customers, who serve close to 5 billion subscribers, we are embracing the opportunity of the connected world and helping to solve its challenges.
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Nokia Networks is a forerunner in developing telco cloud, innovating in several key dimensions. This includes network function virtualization (NFV), enabling the company to help operators move from the virtualization of single network elements to full cloud orchestration, including cloud application management.
Over the years, the company has developed and tested with its customers virtualized network elements, focusing on the core and cloud application management, resulting in bringing the telco cloud to commercial readiness. In September, 2014, Nokia Networks announced the delivery of the first commercial NFV solution to enable cloud-based VoLTE services.