GENEVA, June 3, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, announced the publication of the Company's 2014 Sustainability Report. The Company's eighteenth annual report contains comprehensive details of ST's new sustainability strategy defined during 2014 and its performance while it illustrates how ST's sustainability programs play a major role throughout the Company.
This report aligns with the Global Reporting Initiative's G4, best-in-class reporting standards; ST was also one of the first companies to commit to the United Nations Global Compact and the report represents the "Company's Communication on Progress."
"ST has been a pioneer in sustainability from its early days because of the significant benefits it brings to the company, its employees, and the planet," said Carlo Bozotti, President and CEO of STMicroelectronics. "Business, People, and Environment & Operations are the pillars of ST's new sustainability strategy, serving as the foundation for continuous business and social improvement, in line with our long-term goal to make a positive contribution to people's lives."
Among the key sustainability highlights in 2014, ST:
- Made significant progress in its business operations, including a significant financial turnaround that is re-positioning the Company for the next step in growth and sustainability;
- Introduced more than 350 "Responsible Products during 2014";
- Recorded more than 300 community-related initiatives, from cash donations to work hours inside or outside the company;
- Extended progress in meeting green-energy objectives and further demonstrated engagement in responsible energy sourcing. With 20% of purchased energy coming from renewable sources, ST recorded its best performance ever; The Company also continued its efforts to recycle, by re-using and recycling 92% of waste generated through its operations;
- Consolidated its position as an industry leader in employee Health & Safety, with a 17% decrease in safety recordable case rate in 2014 compared to 2013, as a result of reinforced Environment, Health and Safety programs;
- Used its monitoring policy of back-end subcontractors to promote supply-chain responsibility by increasing to 80% the subcontractors engaged in EICC (Electronics Industry Citizenship Coalition) audits.
STMicroelectronics' achievements in sustainability were recognized once again in 2014 with leading positions in various national and international sustainability ratings and indices. The company continued to be included in the main Sustainability indices: Dow Jones Sustainability Europe where ST obtained a top score of 100 in product quality and recall management, Euronext Vigeo, Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index in Italy, and FTSE4Good ethical index. These results highlight the many environmental sustainability actions the Company takes within its operations, as well as its innovative sustainable products and services, which contributed to ST's being included, for the third consecutive year, in the Thomson Reuters annual ranking of the 100 most innovative companies in the world.
The report is available as a PDF here.
More information about ST's approach to Sustainability is available here.
ST is a global leader in the semiconductor market serving customers across the spectrum of sense and power and automotive products and embedded processing solutions. From energy management and savings to trust and data security, from healthcare and wellness to smart consumer devices, in the home, car and office, at work and at play, ST is found everywhere microelectronics make a positive and innovative contribution to people's life. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2014, the Company's net revenues were $7.40 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.
For further information, please contact:
Director, Corporate Media and Public Relations
Tel: + 33 1 58 07 77 85
 The Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) is a non-profit organization that promotes economic, environmental, and social sustainability. GRI provides all companies and organizations with a comprehensive sustainability reporting framework that is widely used around the world. More information is available here: https://www.globalreporting.org
 3 The UN Global Compact asks companies to embrace, support and enact, within their sphere of influence, a set of core values in the areas of human rights, labor standards, the environment and anti-corruption
More information on the UN Global Compact is available here: http://www.unglobalcompact.org/aboutthegc/thetenprinciples/index.html
 ST defines "responsible products" as those that reduce energy consumption and/or provide new environmental & social solutions responding to key societal challenges.
ST_sustainability report PR http://hugin.info/152740/R/1925854/691043.pdf