GREENVILLE, Wis., June 10, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- School Specialty, Inc. (OTCQB:SCOO) ("School Specialty", "the Company", or "@SchoolSpecialty"), a leading distributor of innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to the education marketplace, announced today its continued collaboration with The School Art League to support and honor New York's outstanding art students and teachers. The Company most recently joined with The School Art League and New York City Department of Education in recognizing student and teacher excellence at an annual ceremony held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium in New York City.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=33647
For 106 years (since 1909), The School Art League has supported art education and career development, providing recognition and encouragement for student artists. The New York City Department of Education and the trustees of The School Art League have joined together to provide visual arts scholarships and financial awards to graduating seniors from New York City public high schools. In addition to honoring students who have excelled, the organization recognizes the teachers dedicated to advancing art education, including those who have mentored and supported scholarship recipients.
During this year's awards ceremony at The MET, six students were commended for their notable achievements and presented with various scholarships and monetary prizes. School Specialty also joined The School Art League in presenting certificates of recognition and special financial gifts in appreciation of the six very deserving teachers who inspired the student winners:
- Gail Meirovitch of William Cullen Bryant High School was presented with the Educator Award. Her student, Panagiotis Kokosis, is the 2015 recipient of The School Art league/School of Visual Arts/Henry Wolf Scholarship – presented to a senior who excels in graphic design and/or photography and plans to attend the School of Visual Arts.
- Fanelle Goldstein of Susan E. Wagner High School received the Educator Award. Her student, Lauren Ann Dimaya, is the 2015 recipient of The School Art league/Pratt Institute/Marcia Friedmutter Scholarship – given to a senior whose exemplary character and talent have served the school and community through art and who plans to attend Pratt Institute.
- William Jung of Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School was presented with the Educator Award. His student, Moriah Ortiz, is the 2015 recipient of The School Art league/Art Education/Renee Darvin Award – given to a senior who has continually demonstrated excellence and commitment to visual arts and high academic achievement, and will be attending college to become an art educator.
- Maria Jimenez of the High School of Art & Design received the Educator Award. Her student, Marques Oden, is the 2015 recipient of The School Art League/Jane Clark Chermayeff/ Design Award – presented to a senior who demonstrates excellence in visual arts, service to the community and will be attending college to major in design.
- Lauren Smith of Bayside High School received the Educator Award. Her student, Valerie Buonaiuto, is the 2015 recipient of the Jane Curliano Mazzella/Excellence In Visual Arts Award– presented to a senior who excels in visual arts and academic studies, and will be attending college to major in art.
- Cheryl Steinberg of Bayside High School was presented with the Educator Award. Her student, Oaishe Khandoker, is the 2015 recipient of the Art Directors Club Award – given to a senior who has completed the Saturday Art Career Workshops with distinction and will be attending college in preparation for a career in visual arts.
School Specialty, through its innovative proprietary brands and third-party offerings, has served the New York public school system for several decades, providing supplies, furniture and various teaching materials to all grade levels, beginning in pre-K and through grade 12. Some of the Company's proprietary brands include Sax® Arts & Crafts, Classroom Select®, Classroom Direct®, Childcraft®, Abilitations®, SchoolSmart®, Sportime®, SPARK®, Premier Agendas™, Delta Education®, CPO Science™, Frey Scientific®, EPS, Hammond & Stephens, Brodhead Garrett, Califone®, and more.
This year marks the 105th year that Sax, School Specialty's premier arts & crafts brand, has been in business. Sax began as a leather craft business in 1910, founded by the Sax Brothers, and transitioned into arts and crafts materials in the mid-20th century. The brand has for many decades engaged and inspired the creative learning of students at all grade levels. Cultivated by professional art educators and former art teachers, artists trust Sax to provide them with the highest quality, most innovative art materials. From clay to canvas and paint to printmaking supplies, students and teachers have benefited from using the most vital school art supplies from Sax. School Specialty truly understands the meaning of "art imitating life" and the significant role art education plays in helping students hone their communication and critical thinking skills, while enhancing creativity that is essential to innovation in the 21st century.
Scott Dawson, Senior Vice President of Supplies Sales at School Specialty, stated, "It is a privilege and honor to recognize the teachers who were selected for the 2015 Art Educator Awards. These teachers go above and beyond what is expected of them to mentor and inspire art students in New York City to reach new heights and their full potential, and our School Specialty family is thrilled to be a part of such prestigious recognition. For students, the opportunity to attend college and pursue their dreams is the ultimate reward. And for teachers, helping them get to that level and become future leaders makes the sacrifice worthwhile. We'd like to specially thank The School Art League for the continued opportunity to support art education and career development. School Specialty is proud to be a sponsor and looks forward to strengthening our partnership in the years to come."
About School Specialty, Inc.
School Specialty is a leading distributor of innovative and proprietary products, programs and services to the education marketplace. The Company designs, develops, and provides educators with the latest and very best school supplies, furniture and both curriculum and supplemental learning resources. Working in collaboration with educators, School Specialty reaches beyond the scope of textbooks to help teachers, guidance counselors and school administrators ensure that every student reaches his or her full potential. For more information about School Specialty, visit www.schoolspecialty.com.
CONTACT: Company Contact: Scott Dawson School Specialty Inc. firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 916-390-6816 Media Contacts: Glenn Wiener / Dionne Manchester GW Communications for School Specialty Inc. gwiener@GWCco.com / dionne@GWCco.com Tel: 212-786-6011 / 212-786-6068
Source:School Specialty, Inc.