One-day orders increase more than 100% compared to last year
Mobile orders jump to more than 60% of total sales
BEIJING, June 19, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- JD.com, Inc. (Nasdaq:JD), China's largest online direct sales company, today announced record-breaking one-day results from its June 18 anniversary sale.
During the annual 24-hour event, which began at midnight on June 18, the company set numerous sales records, including number of orders placed, which grew by more than 100% from last year to 15 million.
More than 60% of orders were placed via mobile on June 18, including through JD.com's native app, its mobile website and its Weixin (WeChat) and Mobile QQ entry points. The one-day rate of orders from mobile for JD.com's November 11 Singles Day sales event in 2014 was 40%. The surge comes almost exactly a year after Tencent's mobile social media platforms, Weixin and Mobile QQ, launched Level-1 access points for shopping with JD.com.
Apparel and shoes continue to be one of JD.com's fastest growing segments, and saw the most items sold out of any product category on June 18. GAP flagship store sales on June 18 were 13-fold higher than its average daily sales volume in May. In total for the day, JD.com sold more than 8 million articles of clothing and 1.2 million pairs of shoes, following 230% growth on an annual basis during the first quarter of the year.
Another area of rapid growth was JD's flash sales channel, which saw a 30-fold increase in orders compared to the company's 2014 June 18 sale.
"Today's blowout sales figures once again highlight that JD.com is increasingly the e-commerce site of choice for upwardly-mobile Chinese consumers," said JD Mall CEO Haoyu Shen. "The tremendous range of products that consumers purchase on JD.com, from imported wine and clothing, to cell phones and fresh fruit, underscores the trust our customers have that they will get safe and authentic products when shopping with us."
JD.com released the following figures for the June 18 anniversary one-day sales event:
- Over 15 million orders were placed.
- During the event, apparel and shoes recorded the largest number of orders among all product categories.
- Total sales of smart devices on June 18 were 7.5 times higher than last year's sale.
- M Band from Xiaomi topped the smart device category, selling more than 45,000 on June 18.
- Over 60% of orders were placed via mobile on June 18.
- Order volume on JD Daojia, JD.com's O2O platform which launched three months ago, was five-fold higher on June 18 than its normal average, setting a new one-day record.
- JD.com's flash sales on June 18 were 30-fold higher than during the company's 2014 sale.
- Compared to the May averages, for the day JD.com saw a 20-fold increase in the sales of the personal care and cosmetics category, as well as the mother and children's products category.
- For the day, food sales saw a four-fold increase over the May average.
In addition, the company also announced figures for June 1-18, which includes both the one-day sale and lead-up promotional period:
- JD.com sold a total of more than 4.16 million mobile phones during the period.
- iPhone topped the list of mobile phones by sales volume, selling more than RMB 1.4 billion (US $225 million) worth of merchandise.
- By units sold, Huawei's Honor topped the list of mobile phones during that period, selling 920,000 units.
As part of the promotion, a number of celebrities surprised JD.com customers by personally providing last-mile delivery services. Among those who participated this year was basketball star Stephon Marbury who delivered two packages to JD.com customers in Beijing.
JD.com, Inc. is the largest online direct sales company in China. The company strives to offer consumers the best online shopping experience. Through its content-rich and user-friendly website jd.com and mobile applications, JD.com offers a wide selection of authentic products at competitive prices and delivers products in a speedy and reliable manner. The company believes it has the largest fulfillment infrastructure of any e-commerce company in China. As of March 31, 2015 JD.com operated 7 fulfillment centers and a total of 143 warehouses in 43 cities, and in total 3,539 delivery stations and pickup stations in 1,961 counties and districts across China, staffed by its own employees. The Company provides standard same-day delivery in more than 130 counties and districts, and standard next-day delivery in more than another 850 counties and districts across China.