The Golden State, with its Golden Gate, charges golden prices, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the average home price is pushing $1 million dollars. Want an Italian dinner here in the home of the iconic North Bay neighborhood? Brace yourself. An 8-ounce canister of grated Parmesan cheese will set you back more than $6.00, compared to the national average of $3.90. Mamma mia!
- 2015 Cost of Living rank: No. 46 (5th most expensive)
- 2015 Cost of Living score: 8 (out of 75 points)
- 2014 Cost of Living rank: No. 47 (4th most expensive)
- Average home price (San Francisco/Redwood City Metro): $946,066
- Half gallon of milk: $2.77
- Pound of ground beef: $3.97
- Monthly energy bill: $213.39
- Doctor visit: $127.57
Caption: Cars drive down Castro Street in San Francisco.