CHARLOTTE, N.C., June 24, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Premier, Inc. (Nasdaq:PINC) selected a range of unique medical devices and products for its 7th annual Innovation Celebration, an event honoring the industry's leading healthcare advancements and supplier commitment to innovation.
Showcased during Premier's annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition, the innovative products and devices were selected based on their uniqueness, ability to have an impact on unmet clinical needs and potential to improve patient care.
"The products and devices selected this year truly exemplify our definition of innovation," said Durral R. Gilbert, Premier's president of supply chain services. "Since its inception in 2009, the Innovation Celebration has been the most successful and effective way for Premier to introduce new products to our members and encourage their use. Each year, attendees get the opportunity to learn about the newest and most unique medical devices and products that are advancing patient care."
Products and devices are selected by a group of dedicated volunteers from Premier's member sourcing committees. Decisions are based on the product's uniqueness, ability to have an impact on unmet clinical needs and potential to improve patient care.
"The selection criteria for the products and devices at Innovation Celebration is very rigorous and is conducted by clinician leaders throughout the Premier alliance. This year that process resulted in a diverse group of products and devices that are perfect examples of how innovation can advance patient care," said Richard Bankowitz, MD, Premier's chief medical officer. "We wish to thank the individuals who participated in the selection process and all the suppliers that submitted applications. Their participation made this year's program particularly successful."
2015 Innovation Celebration participants:
- Flexicare Inc.: DualGuard, a device that incorporates an endoscopy bite block with oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide monitoring for use in upper endoscopy procedures. DualGuard enables clinicians to meet the American Society of Anesthesiologists' guidelines for monitoring all patients during moderate and deep sedation, ensuring the safety of patients breathing orally or nasally.
- Hologic, Inc.: Brevera™ breast biopsy system with CorLumina™ imaging technology, an advanced biopsy platform designed to increase clinical confidence, reduce procedure times and improve the patient experience. (System not FDA cleared, not available for sale in the U.S.)
- Incisive Surgical, Inc.: INSORB® 30 Absorbable Subcuticular Skin Stapler, a patient-centric, cost-effective, rapid skin closure modality. It combines the comfort and convenience of an absorbable suture with the durability of a metal skin stapler and eliminates the need for patients to undergo needless skin punctures and staple removal that may result in increased pain, wound complications and scars.
- Medtronic: IN.PACT® Admiral® Drug Coated Balloon, a minimally-invasive treatment for peripheral artery disease in the upper leg. By preventing the re-narrowing of specific arteries due to plaque build-up, patients are better able to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Penumbra Inc.: Apollo System, a minimally-invasive medical device used to remove blood in the brain following a stroke. Previously, such a condition would have limited treatment options.
- ReavillMED: One Needle, new device that makes inserting a catheter line in the arm more convenient for the patient and the healthcare provider. Patients receiving One Needle are spared the discomfort of multiple insertions of needles and catheters to establish IV lines.
- Roche Diagnostics: Cobas 4800 HPV (human papillomavirus) Test, the first and only non-PAP test approved for first-line screening of cervical cancer in the U.S. and a new option in screening strategies to improve women's health.
- St. Jude Medical: CardioMEMS™ Heart Failure System, the first and only FDA-approved heart failure monitor proven to significantly reduce heart failure hospital admissions and improve quality of life for patients when managed by a physician.
- Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc.: SMI (Superb Micro-vascular imaging), available on the Aplio 500 Platinum Ultrasound System, a new way to diagnose disease faster and safer. SMI enables clinicians to use ultrasound to see the smallest vessels in and around areas like tumors and lymph nodes.
- Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc.; Infinix™ Cardiovascular X-ray Dose Solutions, a system that features a comprehensive selection of tableside dose management tools to assist physicians with managing dose and delivering high-quality images.
- Westmed, Inc.: Vibralung Acoustical Percussor, a device that uses sound waves over a wide range of frequencies in Airway Clearance Therapy. As a result, mucous is loosened and separated throughout the airways to promote safe, effective, yet gentle airway clearance therapy.
During the week-long Breakthroughs conference, more than 4,000 employees from hospitals and health systems, suppliers and other healthcare experts, gather to share best practices on proven methods to improve quality while safely reducing costs.
Any supplier, regardless of whether the company is contracted with Premier, can be considered for participation in the Innovation Celebration. Premier contracts with more than 1,100 suppliers.
For more detailed information, including videos of each product, visit: www.premierinc.com/breakthroughs/innovation-celebration-2015.
About Premier, Inc.
Premier, Inc. (Nasdaq:PINC) is a leading healthcare improvement company, uniting an alliance of approximately 3,400 U.S. hospitals and 110,000 other providers to transform healthcare. With integrated data and analytics, collaboratives, supply chain solutions, and advisory and other services, Premier enables better care and outcomes at a lower cost. Premier, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient, plays a critical role in the rapidly evolving healthcare industry, collaborating with members to co-develop long-term innovations that reinvent and improve the way care is delivered to patients nationwide. Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Premier is passionate about transforming American healthcare. Please visit Premier's news and investor sites on www.premierinc.com; as well as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Foursquare and Premier's blog for more information about the company.
CONTACT: Christopher Allman, Premier, Inc.; Chris_Allman@Premierinc.com; 704.816.5405.