WASHINGTON, July 9, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GWHCC) would like to show its support and validate the sentiments of the Hispanic community in light of Mr. Donald Trump's, Chairman and President of The Trump Organization and founder of Trump Entertainment Resorts, recent comments about Mexican immigrants. He expressed that they bring problems like drugs and violent crime into the United States and that they are not "sending their best people."
"The only bright side to Mr. Trump's comments is that it has united Hispanics who are hard workers, entrepreneurial, family oriented and a thriving economic force for our country," said Angela Franco, GWHCC President & CEO. "This is an opportunity for all of us to come together to support each other and work towards a better America," she added.
According to Nielsen, the immense buying power of the nation's Hispanic consumers continues to empower the nation's consumer market:
- If Hispanics in the U.S. were a standalone country, the U.S. Hispanic market buying power would make it a G20 economy, one of the top twenty economies around the world. It would rank as the 12th largest economy of the world.
- By the end of 2015, the Hispanic purchasing power will grow to larger than all but 8 economies in the world.
- U.S. Hispanic purchasing power surged to nearly $870 billion in 2008 and is projected to reach as much as $1.3 trillion by the end of this year.
Moreover, a study by Geoscape shows that Hispanic-owned businesses are the engine of the U.S.' economy:
- Hispanic-owned businesses are our nation's fastest growing business community and are at the forefront of our nation's economic recovery.
- Between 2002 and 2007, the growth rate for Hispanic-owned businesses was 44 percent compared to 17.8 percent for all U.S. firms.
- Three million Hispanic-owned companies generate over $500 billion in revenue.
As the top Hispanic chamber of commerce in the DC metropolitan area, the GWHCC will continue to strive to educate, connect and advocate on behalf of its minority businesses to help them succeed.
About the GWHCC
The GWHCC is a 501(C) 6 membership driven organization, founded in 1976, that supports the economic development of the greater Washington metropolitan area. The Chamber facilitates the success of Latino and other minority-owned businesses and the communities they serve through networking, advocacy, education and access to capital. For additional information visit our website www.gwhcc.org.
CONTACT: Pamela Nieto firstname.lastname@example.org (202) 728 - 0352
Source:Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce