The foundation has now reached 27 countries with six new grants awarded this month
DALLAS (July 15, 2015) (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) --MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a global provider of innovative money transfer services, today announced support for six education programs around the world through grants awarded by the MoneyGram Foundation. The grant recipients include programs that provide access to technology, develop innovative science and math curriculum, expand employment opportunities and improve literacy in the communities where MoneyGram customers live and work.
"The foundation continues to work with best-in-class programs to improve education for children around the world," said Pamela H. Patsley, MoneyGram International's chairman and CEO. "Many of the programs sponsored by the foundation are bringing innovative technology and teaching methods to children who are being left behind because of their lack of access to good education. These grants demonstrate the foundation's efforts to improve education through innovation."
The recipients in the foundation's second grant round of 2015 include:
- Children's University Foundation in Poland, to provide teacher workshops for science programs and lesson plans for innovative curriculum.
- Caring for Cambodia, which operates 21 schools in the country, to develop a new ESL pilot program. ESL skills significantly increase Cambodians prospects of employment in surrounding regions.
- World Learning, to provide advanced laptops for incoming students at the Maadi STEM School for Girls in Cairo, Egypt.
- Pencils of Promise, to expand the E-reader program to an additional four community schools in Ghana for students in grades 3-6. Each E-Reader contains 100 books and is given to students to use in their classroom and at home.
- LitWorld, to expand programming in Haiti. LitWorld provides year-round LitClubs, LitCamps and library programs that are a vital literacy lifeline in Port-au-Prince and the surrounding area.
- Habitat for Humanity, to build two typhoon and earthquake-resistant single room school structures in two different areas of the Typhoon Haiyan-affected province of Capiz, Philippines.
To learn more about the MoneyGram Foundation and the projects it supports, please visit moneygramfoundation.org.
About MoneyGram Foundation
MoneyGram established the MoneyGram Foundation in 2012 to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources. Its mission is firmly rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment. The MoneyGram Foundation is focused on inspiring minds and improving lives and grants funds to deserving organizations with this mission in mind. To learn more, please visit moneygramfoundation.org or connect with us on Facebook.
About MoneyGram International, Inc.
MoneyGram is a global provider of innovative money transfer services and is recognized worldwide as a financial connection to friends and family. Whether online, or through a mobile device, at a kiosk or in a local store, we connect consumers any way that is convenient for them. We also provide bill payment services, issue money orders and process official checks in select markets. More information about MoneyGram International, Inc. is available at moneygram.com.
CONTACT: Media Contact: Michelle Buckalew firstname.lastname@example.org 214-979-1418
Source:MoneyGram International, Inc.