×

Ebola threat not over yet, survivor Kent Brantly says

While the initial panic or hysteria may have dissipated, the threat of Ebola remains imminent, survivor and missionary Dr. Kent Brantly said Tuesday.

"The public is not always aware of what's happening in West Africa, but we're still seeing 20 to 30 new cases of the disease in Sierra Leone and Guinea every week," Brantly said in a CNBC "Squawk on the Street" interview.

Brantly made his remarks a day after WABC in New York City reported that doctors in Bellevue Hospital are evaluating a patient with Ebola-like symptoms.

On Tuesday, biopharmaceutical company Novavax said its experimental vaccine, the Ebola GP Vaccine, induced a substantial immune response to the disease in an early-stage trial.

Read MoreNovavax rises on promising Ebola vaccine trial

Nevertheless, there is still a long way to go before a definitive cure against the disease is found, Brantly added. "I think it's going to take some time to get substantial data back on those trials, but there are lots of different trials under way in West Africa and even here in the United States."

Brantly contracted the virus while treating patients in West Africa last year amid the largest Ebola epidemic to date.