PORTSMOUTH, Va., July 30, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- With hurricane season in full swing, the House Call Company experts encourage Hampton Roads homeowners to take the appropriate precautions when it comes to hurricane preparedness. While a hurricane has not come to the Tidewater area yet this year, it is important to remain vigilant. Professionals want to make sure residents and their homes are ready should one come in the future.
A photo accompanying this release is available at: http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=34825.
While closing your windows and doors and boarding them with plywood is important and often recommended, there's another household element that needs to be prepped – the HVAC! Here are a few tips regarding the often forgotten about appliance, the air conditioning system:
- When a storm warning is issued, turn off the air conditioning unit and disable the electricity to the outdoor component at the breaker. This will help protect it in case of flooding or power surges.
- If there's a window or portable unit, remove it and close the window.
- Protect the outdoor condensing unit by covering it with a tarp and driving earth anchors next to it to strap it down. Or you can build a protection box out of wood and place it over the unit; both options will help protect it from flying debris and shield it from high-speed damaging winds.
- Should you experience flooding, DO NOT restart the system prior to an HVAC professional inspecting it. Doing so could cause severe damage. If the unit is not dry, or there is water in your duct work, contact a specialist immediately.
- If power outages are common in your area, consider installing a whole home generator, or at the very least a transfer switch that will allow you to plug in a portable generator.
"Our hope is to help educate residents on how to protect their homes and families during hurricane season," said Raymond Walsh, president of House Call Company. "That includes learning about potential energy and home comfort issues, specifically with the HVAC unit."
About House Call Company
As Hampton Roads' premiere HVAC, plumbing, electrical and insulation company, House Call Company is a one-stop shop offering a holistic approach to improving homes; therefore, improving lives. From heating and air conditioning, to plumbing, electrical and home performance services, House Call Company helps homeowners live in the most efficient and comfortable home possible. A preferred service provider for both Service Nation and Angie's List and an approved contractor for Dominion Virginia Power's home energy programs, House Call Company has helped homeowners all across the East Coast for over 12 years.
CONTACT: Raymond Walsh House Call Company Phone: 757-398-1820 E-mail: Ray.Walsh@HouseCallCompany.com Gillian Luce Reed & Associates Marketing, Inc. Phone: 757-962-7375 E-mail: Gillian@ReedandAssociatesMarketing.com
Source:House Call Company