NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine, Aug. 10, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Iberdrola USA Foundation, in conjunction with Fundación Iberdrola España are pleased to announce this year's Iberdrola Scholarship Program for Energy and Environment Postgraduate Studies recipients. The following students will receive more than $370,000 in total for graduate studies in Maine, New York or Scotland for the 2015/2016 academic year:
University of Maine – Orono, ME
- Luis Badesa – Calatayud, Spain - Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering (Funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Danielle MacDonald – Caribou, Maine - Master's of Science in Civil Engineering (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation)
University of Rochester – Rochester, NY
- Noelia Hurtado Lopez-Plaza – Madrid, Spain - Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering (Funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Ana Peñas Parra – Madrid, Spain - Master's of Science in Alternative Energy (Funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
- Andrew Stark – Plainsboro, New Jersey - Master's of Science in Chemical Engineering (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation )
- Juan Francisco Vico Zafra – Jaen, Spain - Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering (Funded by Fundación Iberdrola España)
University of Edinburgh – Edinburgh, Scotland
- Emily Field – Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts - Master's of Science in Sustainable Energy Systems. (Funded by Iberdrola USA Foundation.)
"Iberdrola and Iberdrola USA are passionate about protecting the environment and caring for the future of the planet. That's why this scholarship program is so important – to help groom the next generation of renewable energy leaders," said Bob Kump, chief corporate officer of Iberdrola USA and president of the Iberdrola USA Foundation. "I have faith these students will make the most of this opportunity and work hard to help make the world a more open, more sustainable and more responsible place."
Global energy leader, Iberdrola S.A., established the scholarship program to support graduate studies in the broad field of energy, with a special focus on renewable energy development, environmental protection, climate change and energy efficiency. Each grant covers the full cost of enrollment plus a stipend.
"To get fully funded to do what I love, pursuing green, sustainable technologies and getting my master's degree in the United States, is a dream come true for me," said Noelia Hurtado Lopez-Plaza. "Thank you Iberdrola for your faith and support."
"This scholarship has allowed me to join a very active Smart Grid research group at the University of Maine," said Luis Badesa. "I am honored to get this recognition and immensely grateful to Iberdrola for giving me such an opportunity."
"I am very grateful to Iberdrola for this opportunity to study in Scotland. I look forward to contributing to the global search for a viable energy future," said Emily Field.
Since the program started in 2010, the Foundations have awarded nearly 500 scholarships to students from around the world. In 2015, the Foundations awarded 109 scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year; worth more than $2.2 million. That's 3X more scholarships that are worth 4X more in value than the inaugural year of 2010.
Iberdrola USA is the U.S. subsidiary of global energy leader Iberdrola, S.A. The Iberdrola USA companies employ about 5,000 people with operations in 24 states from New England to the West Coast, providing electricity generation, transmission and distribution, natural gas storage and distribution, and energy services. For more information, please visit our website: www.iberdrolausa.com. Follow us on Twitter: @IberdrolaUSA and like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/IberdrolaUSA.
CONTACT: Dan Hucko Daniel.Hucko@IberdrolaUSA.com 585.724.8825