SAN DIEGO, Sept. 9, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Organovo Holdings, Inc. (NYSE MKT:ONVO) ("Organovo"), a three-dimensional biology company focused on delivering scientific and medical breakthroughs using its 3D bioprinting technology, today issued its full-year fiscal 2016 outlook and affirmed its long-range outlook.
Fiscal-Year 2016 Outlook
The Company issued its full-year fiscal 2016 outlook for revenue recognized from previously disclosed contract bookings for its commercial liver tissue product and net cash utilization(1). The Company expects:
- In fiscal 2016, to recognize between $1.2 million and $1.4 million of its approximately $2 million in contract bookings for its exVive3DTM Human Liver Tissue for the period from April 1, 2014 to June 9, 2015. The Company had already recognized approximately $0.3 million from these contract bookings in fiscal 2015. Organovo anticipates that additional revenue from these contract bookings will be recognized in fiscal 2017. In addition, revenue from new contracts signed after June 9, 2015, as well as revenue from grants and collaborations, may also be recognized during the remainder of fiscal 2016.
- Net cash utilization of between $32 million and $36 million for fiscal-year 2016. The Company had a cash and cash equivalents balance of $86.0 million for its fiscal first-quarter ended June 30, 2015.
|Fiscal-Year 2016 Outlook|
|Total Revenue Recognized From Previously Reported Contract Bookings||$1.2 million - $1.4 million|
|Net Cash Utilization||$32 million - $36 million|
The Company affirmed its long-range outlook for potential revenue from its liver tissue product and initiation of commercial contracting for its kidney tissue product. The Company continues to expect:
- As it penetrates the toxicology market, Organovo's exVive3D™ Human Liver Tissue and service will grow into the tens of millions in annual revenue, and has $100 million+ revenue potential in the future as the Company pursues diligent sales and marketing efforts (inside of a total addressable market of over $1 billion).
- Initiation of commercial contracting for its kidney tissue product in the calendar third quarter of 2016.
Net Cash Utilization Definition
(1) In addition to disclosing financial results that are determined in accordance with U.S. GAAP, the Company provides net cash utilization as a supplemental measure to help investors evaluate the Company's fundamental operational performance. The Company defines net cash utilization as the change in the amount of cash and cash equivalents at the beginning of the reporting period as compared to the end of the reporting period, excluding financing activities (which would include proceeds from the sale of common stock and the exercise of warrants and stock options). Net cash utilization is an operational measure that should be considered in addition to our results prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP. This operational measure should not be considered as a substitute for, or superior to, U.S. GAAP results. The Company believes net cash utilization is a relevant and useful operational measure because it provides information regarding our cash utilization rate. Management uses net cash utilization to manage the business, including in preparing its annual operating budget, financial projections and compensation plans. The Company believes that net cash utilization is also useful to investors because similar measures are frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in their evaluation of companies in similar industries. However, there is no standardized measurement of net cash utilization, and net cash utilization as the Company presents it may not be comparable with similarly titled operational measures used by other companies. Due to these limitations, the Company's management does not view net cash utilization in isolation but also uses other measurements, such as cash used in operating activities and revenues to measure operating performance.
About Organovo Holdings Inc.
Organovo designs and creates functional, three-dimensional human tissues for use in medical research and therapeutic applications. The Company develops 3D human disease models through internal development and in collaboration with pharmaceutical and academic partners. Organovo's 3D human tissues have the potential to accelerate the drug discovery process, enabling treatments to be developed faster and at lower cost. The Company recently launched its initial product of the planned exVive3D portfolio offering, the exVive3D Human Liver Tissue for use in toxicology and other preclinical drug testing. Additional products are in development, with the anticipated release of the exVive3D Human Kidney Tissue scheduled for the third quarter of calendar year 2016. The Company also actively conducts early research on specific tissues for therapeutic use in direct surgical applications. In addition to numerous scientific publications, the Company's technology has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, The Economist, and numerous other media outlets. Organovo is changing the shape of medical research and practice. Learn more at www.organovo.com.
Any statements contained in this press release that do not describe historical facts constitute forward-looking statements as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any forward-looking statements contained herein are based on current expectations, but are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties. The factors that could cause the Company's actual future results to differ materially from current expectations include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties relating to the Company's ability to develop, market and sell products and services based on its technology; the expected benefits and efficacy of the Company's products, services and technology; the market acceptance of the Company's products and services; the Company's business, research, product development, regulatory approval, marketing and distribution plans and strategies; and the Company's ability to successfully complete the contracts and recognize the revenue represented by the contracts included in its previously reported total contract bookings. These and other factors are identified and described in more detail in the Company's filings with the SEC, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the SEC on June 9, 2015 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the SEC on August 10, 2015. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date that they were made. These cautionary statements should be considered with any written or oral forward-looking statements that the Company may issue in the future. Except as required by applicable law, including the securities laws of the United States, the Company does not intend to update any of the forward-looking statements to conform these statements to reflect actual results, later events or circumstances or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
CONTACT: Investor Contact: Steve Kunszabo Organovo Holdings, Inc. +1 (858) 224-1092 firstname.lastname@example.org Press Contact: Jessica Yingling Little Dog Communications +1 (858) 480-2411 email@example.comSource:Organovo Holdings, Inc.