The Chilean government raised the death toll to eight on Thursday after a magnitude 8.3 earthquake that struck in the Pacific Ocean off the country on Wednesday.
The government had previously said five people had been killed.
Interior Minister Jorge Burgos told a news conference that the port of Coquimbo had suffered severe damage. He said it was the largest quake in the world this year.
Early on Thursday, Chile lifted its tsunami warning.
Earlier, more than a million people were evacuated from their homes after powerful waves slammed into coastal towns following the quake.
The quake shook buildings in the capital city of Santiago, about 280 km (175 miles) to the south, and flooded some coastal areas under a tsunami warning.
President Michelle Bachelet said she planned to travel to the areas worst affected by the quake, the biggest to hit the world's top copper producer since 2010.
"Once again we're having to deal with another harsh blow from nature," Bachelet said in a televised statement.
Television images showed panicked people gathered in streets lined with damaged buildings, while big waves flooded roads in some cities along the coast.
Operations were suspended at two major copper mines operated by Codelco and Antofagasta that generate annual capacity of more than 600,000 metric tons.
Copper prices on the London Metal Exchange rose to two-month highs in early Asian trading as worries about supply disruptions offset lingering concerns about demand from China amid copper's longest rout in years.