LONG BEACH, N.Y., Nov. 04, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Planet Payment, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLPM), a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services, today announced its results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2015.
Financial Highlights for the Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2015
- Net revenue for the quarter was $12.6 million compared to $11.3 million for the same period in 2014.
- Net income for the quarter was $0.1 million compared to $0.5 million for the same period in 2014. Net income was primarily impacted by $0.3 million in one-time termination benefits and $0.5 million in non-cash stock-based compensation expense for equity awards granted in August.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter was $1.9 million compared to $2.2 million for the same period in 2014.
Refer to Table 1 for reconciliation of net income to Adjusted EBITDA (a non-GAAP measure).
Operational Highlights for the Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2015
- Agreement with Kenya Commercial Bank, for the launch of Pay in Your Currency in Kenya.
- Launch of DCC at ATM product with Mashreq Bank.
- Completed extension of agreement with Cielo through 2022.
- Completed extension of agreement with Banorte through 2019.
- Continued roll-out of Pay in Your Currency with leading provider of cash access services to the U.S. gaming industry.
Revised Outlook for Fiscal Year 2015
Planet Payment revises its revenue, net income and fully diluted earnings per share and reaffirms Adjusted EBITDA guidance for the full year 2015 as follows:
- Net revenue for the year is expected to be in the range of $50.0 million and $51.0 million, a change from prior guidance of $49.0 million and $51.0 million
- Net income for the year is expected to be between $5.0 million and $6.0 million, a change from the prior guidance of $6.0 million to $7.0 million. Fully diluted earnings per share is expected to be between $0.08 and $0.10 based on 54 million fully diluted common shares outstanding a change from our prior guidance of $0.09 and $0.11 based on 56 million fully diluted common shares outstanding. This change is a result of the third quarter one-time termination benefits of $0.3 million and $0.7 million in additional 2015 non-cash stock-based compensation expense related to equity awards granted in August.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the year remains unchanged between $11.0 million and $12.0 million (see Table 3 for reconciliation of prospective net income to Adjusted EBITDA).
Stock Repurchase Program
As of September 30, 2015, the Company repurchased approximately 2.7 million shares of common stock for an aggregate price of $5.4 million.
Commenting on the results, Carl Williams, Chairman and CEO of Planet Payment, said:
“The results and improved financial performance for the quarter highlight the significant progress that the Company has made toward our strategic goals and the strength of our multi-currency and payment processing business lines. We remain confident that we are creating a strong foundation for Planet Payment’s future growth and profitability.”
The Company will host a conference call to discuss third quarter 2015 financial results today at 5:00 pm New York time. Carl Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Robert Cox, President and Chief Operating Officer and Raymond D’Aponte, Chief Financial Officer, will host the call. The call will be webcast live from the Company’s investor relations website at http://ir.planetpayment.com/. The conference call can also be accessed live over the phone by dialing (877) 407-3982, or for international callers (201) 493-6780. A replay will be available approximately two hours after the call concludes and can be accessed on our website or by dialing (877) 870-5176, or for international callers (858) 384-5517, and entering the conference ID 13598683. The replay will be available until our next earnings call on our website or via telephone until Wednesday, November 11, 2015.
Additional analysis of the Company’s performance can be found in “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations,” included in the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2015 to be filed at www.sec.gov and posted on the Company’s investor relations website.
About Planet Payment
Planet Payment is a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services. We provide our services in 23 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, primarily through our more than 70 acquiring bank and processor customers. Our point-of-sale and e-commerce services help merchants sell more goods and services to consumers, and together with our ATM services, are integrated within the payment card transaction flow, enabling our acquiring customers, their merchants and consumers to shop, pay, transact and reconcile payment transactions in multiple currencies, geographies and channels.
Planet Payment is headquartered in New York and has offices in Atlanta, Beijing, Bermuda, Delaware, Dubai, Dublin, London, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Shanghai and Singapore. Visit www.planetpayment.com for more information about the Company and its services. For up-to-date information, follow Planet Payment on Twitter at @PlanetPayment or join Planet Payment’s Facebook page.
Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements.
Information contained in this announcement may include "forward-looking statements." All statements other than statements of historical facts included herein, including, without limitation, those regarding the financial position, business strategy, plans and objectives of management for future operations of both Planet Payment and its business partners, net revenue, net income, Adjusted EBITDA, diluted earnings per share, future service launches with customers and new initiatives and customer pipeline are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on a number of assumptions regarding Planet Payment’s present and future business strategies, and the environment in which Planet Payment expects to operate in the future, which assumptions may or may not be fulfilled in practice. Implementation of some or all of the new services referred to is subject to regulatory or other third party approvals. Actual results may vary materially from the results anticipated by these forward-looking statements as a result of a variety of risk factors, including the risk that implementation, adoption and offering of the service by processors, acquirers, merchants and others may take longer than anticipated, or may not occur at all; regulatory changes and changes in card association regulations and practices; changes in domestic and international economic conditions; and changes in volume of international travel and commerce and others. Additional risks may arise with respect to commencing operations in new countries and regions, of which Planet Payment is not fully aware at this time. See the Company’s Quarterly Report Form 10-Q filed at www.sec.gov for other risk factors which investors should consider. These forward-looking statements speak only as to the date of this announcement and cannot be relied upon as a guide to future performance. Planet Payment expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to disseminate any updates or revisions to any forward-looking statements contained in this announcement to reflect any changes in its expectations with regard thereto or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any statement is based.
Non-GAAP Financial Information
The Company provides certain non-GAAP financial measures in this statement. Management believes that Adjusted EBITDA, when viewed with our results under GAAP and the accompanying reconciliations, provides useful information about our period-over-period results. Adjusted EBITDA is presented because management believes it provides additional information with respect to the performance of our fundamental business activities and is also frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in the evaluation of comparable companies. We also rely on Adjusted EBITDA as a primary measure to review and assess the operating performance of our company and our management team in connection with our executive compensation. These non-GAAP key business indicators, which include Adjusted EBITDA, should not be considered replacements for and should be read in conjunction with the GAAP financial measures.
We define Adjusted EBITDA as GAAP net income (loss) adjusted to exclude: (1) interest expense, (2) interest income, (3) provision (benefit) for income taxes, (4) depreciation and amortization, (5) stock-based compensation expense and (6) certain other items management believes affect the comparability of operating results. Please see “Adjusted EBITDA” below for more information and for a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net income (loss), the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP.
|Table 1. Reconciliation of Net Income to Adjusted EBITDA|
|For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2015 and 2014|
|Three Months Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Provision for income taxes||92,674||112,543||308,406||306,238|
|Depreciation and amortization||735,442||830,760||2,175,220||2,308,057|
|Stock-based compensation expense||699,227||276,680||1,160,817||827,340|
|Adjusted EBITDA (non-GAAP)||$||1,927,020||$||2,214,653||$||7,658,726||$||5,880,919|
|Table 2. Explanation of Key Metrics|
|Three Months Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Consolidated gross billings(1)||$||35,551,372||$||28,949,503||$||102,682,528||$||92,419,389|
|Total settled dollar volume processed(2)||$||2,055,804,097||$||1,557,025,085||$||6,060,474,546||$||4,905,203,617|
|Total active merchant locations (at period end)(4)||109,376||81,712||109,376||81,712|
|Total settled transactions processed(5)||62,035,730||27,511,347||162,932,550||78,909,454|
|Multi-currency processing services key metrics:|
|Active merchant locations (at period end)(3)||37,495||38,510||37,495||38,510|
|Settled transactions processed(5)||3,547,406||3,229,780||10,622,859||9,695,210|
|Gross foreign currency mark-up(6)||$||30,725,288||$||24,707,303||$||88,783,769||$||80,681,448|
|Settled dollar volume processed(7)||$||687,490,018||$||585,154,217||$||1,986,796,246||$||1,925,853,201|
|Average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed(8)||1.11||%||1.14||%||1.15||%||1.12||%|
|Payment processing services key metrics:|
|Active merchant locations (at period end)(3)||73,532||44,519||73,532||44,519|
|Payment processing services revenue(9)||$||4,826,084||$||4,242,200||$||13,898,759||$||11,737,941|
|Settled transactions processed(10)||58,592,942||24,355,134||152,632,914||69,382,671|
|Settled dollar volume processed(11)||$||1,380,707,538||$||980,877,940||$||4,108,006,782||$||3,004,589,390|
- Represents gross foreign currency mark-up (see footnote 7) plus payment processing services revenue (see footnote 10).
- Represents total settled dollar volume processed through both our multi-currency and payment processing services. For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, total settled dollar volume processed was updated from the amounts originally reported of $2,065,917,621 and $6,165,629,259, respectively. For the three months ended March 31, 2015 and June 30, 2015, total settled dollar volume processed was updated from the amounts previously reported of $2,026,898,435 and $2,406,133,032, respectively.
- We consider a merchant location to be active as of a date if the merchant completed at least one revenue-generating transaction at the location during the 90-day period ending on such date. For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, total active merchant locations was updated from the amount originally reported of 92,746. In addition, for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, multi-currency processing and payment processing services active merchant locations were updated from the amounts originally reported of 46,256 and 46,510, respectively. The total number of active merchant locations exceeds the total number of merchants, as merchants may have multiple locations. As of September 30, 2015 and 2014, there were 1,651 and 1,317 active merchant locations, respectively, included in both multi-currency and payment processing active merchant locations but are not included in total active merchant locations, in order to eliminate counting these locations twice. For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, active merchant locations included in both multi-currency and payment processing was updated from the amount originally reported of 20.
- Represents total settled transactions (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups). For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, total settled transactions processed was updated from the amounts originally reported of 26,539,189 and 76,869,565, respectively. For the three months ended March 31, 2015 and June 30, 2015, total settled transactions was updated from the amounts previously reported of 44,715,925 and 41,612,210, respectively.
- Represents settled transactions processed using our multi-currency processing services (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups).
- Represents the gross foreign currency mark-up amount on settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services. Gross foreign currency mark-up represents multi-currency processing services net revenue plus amounts paid to acquiring banks and their merchants associated with such multi-currency processing transactions. Management believes this metric is relevant because it provides the reader an indication of the gross mark-up derived from multi-currency transactions processed through our platform during a given period. Refer to the segment disclosure in Note 12 of our condensed consolidated financial statements for information on our net revenue from multi-currency processing services.
- Represents the total settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services. For the three months ended March 31, 2015 and June 30, 2015, total settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services was updated from the amounts previously reported of $665,105,412 and $654,266,953, respectively.
- Represents the average net foreign currency mark-up percentage earned on settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services. The average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed is calculated by taking total multi-currency processing services net revenue ($7.6 million and $6.7 million for the three months ended September 30, 2015 and 2014, respectively, and $22.9 million and $21.6 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2015 and 2014, respectively) and dividing by settled dollar volume processed (see footnote 8 above). For purposes of calculating “Average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed”, multi-currency processing services revenue includes revenue related to multi-currency transactions only.
- Represents revenue earned and reported on payment processing services.
- Represents settled transactions processed using our payment processing services (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups). For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014 settled transactions processed using our payment processing services was updated from the originally reported amounts of 23,309,409 and 67,174,355, respectively. For the three months ended March 31, 2015 and June 30, 2015, settled transactions processed using our payment processing services was updated from the amounts previously reported of 41,228,109 and 38,024,630, respectively.
- Represents the total settled dollar volume processed using our payment processing services. For the three and nine months ended September 30, 2014, total settled dollar volume processed using our payment processing services was updated from the originally reported amounts of $1,480,763,404 and $4,239,776,058, respectively. For the three months ended March 31, 2015 and June 30, 2015, total settled dollar volume processed using our payment processing services was updated from the amounts previously reported of $1,361,793,023 and $1,751,866,079, respectively.
|Table 3. Reconciliation of Prospective Net Income to Adjusted EBITDA|
|For the year ending December 31, 2015|
|Provision for income taxes||0.6||0.6|
|Depreciation and amortization||3.2||3.2|
|Stock-based compensation expense||1.9||1.9|
|Adjusted EBITDA (non-GAAP)||$||11.0||$||12.0|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|As of||As of|
|September 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||12,964,168||$||9,837,791|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowances of $0.1 million as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, respectively||6,267,434||6,948,595|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||1,583,658||1,136,821|
|Total current assets||25,213,633||22,090,767|
|Property and equipment, net||1,980,374||2,139,747|
|Software development costs, net||4,285,905||4,612,457|
|Intangible assets, net||1,529,001||2,046,700|
|Security deposits and other assets||4,181,446||2,289,858|
|Total other assets||12,824,355||11,840,527|
|Liabilities and stockholders’ equity|
|Due to merchants||4,583,135||4,352,199|
|Current portion of capital leases||342,938||458,812|
|Total current liabilities||10,704,335||8,241,713|
|Long-term portion of capital leases and deferred revenue||1,945,177||1,560,310|
|Total long-term liabilities||1,945,177||1,560,310|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Convertible preferred stock—10,000,000 shares authorized as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, $0.01 par value: Series A—2,243,750 issued and outstanding as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014; $8,975,000 aggregate liquidation preference||22,438||22,438|
|Common stock—250,000,000 shares authorized as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, $0.01 par value, and 56,391,899 issued and 53,696,349 shares outstanding as of September 30, 2015, and 55,680,999 issued and 55,177,899 shares outstanding as of December 31, 2014||563,919||556,810|
|Treasury stock, at cost, 2,695,550 shares and 503,100 shares as of September 30, 2015 and December 31, 2014, respectively||(5,390,104||)||(822,603||)|
|Additional paid-in capital||105,666,009||103,277,253|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(435,858||)||(173,774||)|
|Total stockholders’ equity||25,388,476||24,129,271|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||38,037,988||$||33,931,294|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Operations (unaudited)|
|Three Months Ended||Nine Months Ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Cost of revenue:|
|Payment processing service fees||2,692,090||2,613,327||7,871,179||7,507,005|
|Processing and service costs||3,776,232||3,222,608||10,399,830||10,182,522|
|Total cost of revenue||6,468,322||5,835,935||18,271,009||17,689,527|
|Selling, general and administrative expenses||5,657,740||4,369,155||14,840,844||13,953,925|
|Total operating expenses||12,409,788||10,717,679||33,395,579||32,839,008|
|Income from operations||208,625||594,624||4,038,963||1,533,017|
|Other (expense) income:|
|Total other expense, net||(9,980||)||(13,956||)||(37,632||)||(28,530||)|
|Income from operations before provision for income taxes||198,645||580,668||4,001,331||1,504,487|
|Provision for income taxes||(92,674||)||(112,543||)||(308,406||)||(306,238||)|
|Basic net income per share applicable to common stockholders||$||0.00||$||0.01||$||0.06||$||0.02|
|Diluted net income per share applicable to common stockholders||$||0.00||$||0.01||$||0.06||$||0.02|
|Weighted average common stock outstanding (basic)||51,360,758||54,141,669||52,985,106||53,855,361|
|Weighted average common stock outstanding (diluted)||52,384,391||54,977,485||53,611,968||55,263,634|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows (unaudited)|
|Nine Months Ended|
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
|Adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operating activities:|
|Stock-based compensation expense||1,197,741||951,390|
|Depreciation and amortization expense||2,175,220||2,308,057|
|Provision for doubtful accounts||7,403||29,133|
|Gain on insurance settlement||(517,930||)||—|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities:|
|(Increase) decrease in settlement assets||(322,982||)||938,937|
|Decrease in accounts receivables, prepaid expenses and other current assets||1,184,851||317,807|
|Increase in security deposits and other assets||(131,588||)||(178,762||)|
|Increase (decrease) in accounts payable and accrued expenses||559,792||(2,074,287||)|
|Increase (decrease) in due to merchants||323,105||(565,414||)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||8,035,295||2,887,983|
|Cash flows from investing activities:|
|Increase in restricted cash||(27,651||)||(1,995,596||)|
|(Decrease) increase in merchant reserves||(92,169||)||2,010,648|
|Purchase of property and equipment||(175,570||)||(100,935||)|
|Capitalized software development||(828,393||)||(1,037,978||)|
|Purchase of intangible assets||(16,500||)||(106,264||)|
|Net cash used in investing activities||(1,140,283||)||(1,230,125||)|
|Cash flows from financing activities:|
|Proceeds from issuance of common stock||1,203,750||934,032|
|Purchases of treasury stock||(4,567,501||)||—|
|Principal payments on capital lease obligations||(404,884||)||(418,882||)|
|Net cash (used in) provided by financing activities||(3,768,635||)||515,150|
|Effect of exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents||—||—|
|Net increase in cash and cash equivalents||3,126,377||2,173,008|
|Beginning of period||9,837,791||6,572,468|
|End of period||$||12,964,168||$||8,745,476|
|Cash paid for:|
|Non cash investing and financing activities:|
|Assets acquired under capital leases||156,129||429,611|
|Accrued capitalized hardware, software and fixed assets||39,158||32,937|
|Capitalized stock-based compensation||27,245||40,415|
Planet Payment, Inc.
Notes to unaudited consolidated financial statements
1. Business description and basis of presentation
Planet Payment, Inc. together with its wholly-owned subsidiaries (“Planet Payment,” the “Company,” “we,” or “our”) is a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services. The Company provides its services to approximately 109,000 active merchant locations in 23 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, primarily through its acquiring bank and processor customers, as well as through its own direct sales force. The Company provides banks and their merchants with innovative services to accept, process and reconcile electronic payments. The Company’s point-of-sale and e-commerce services are integrated within the payment card transaction process, enabling its acquiring customers to process and reconcile payment transactions in multiple currencies, geographies and channels. The Company’s ATM services provide its domestic and international acquirers with additional processing capabilities to help them increase revenue and improve customer satisfaction. The Company also offers non-financial transaction processing services that allow merchants to offer a range of commercial services including pre-paid mobile phone top-up and bill payments using the same point-of-sale devices deployed to accept payment cards. The Company is a registered third party processor with the major card associations and operates in accordance with industry standards, including the Payment Card Industry, or PCI, Security Council’s Data Security Standards.
Planet Payment was incorporated in the State of Delaware on October 12, 1999 as Planet Group Inc. and changed its name to Planet Payment, Inc. on June 18, 2007.
From March 2006 to August 2014, shares of the Company’s common stock traded on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange plc, or AIM, under the symbol “PPT”. From March 2006 to June 2013, shares of our common stock also traded on AIM under the symbol “PPTR.” From November 2008 until December 2012, shares of our common stock traded on the OTCQX market under the symbol “PLPM.” On December 17, 2012, shares of our common stock began trading on The NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol “PLPM.”
Basis of presentation
The unaudited condensed consolidated interim financial statements of the Company have been prepared in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”).
The accompanying unaudited condensed consolidated interim financial statements include the accounts of Planet Payment, Inc. and its wholly-owned subsidiaries. All intercompany transactions and balances have been eliminated.
Enquiries: Planet Payment, Inc. Robert Cox (President and COO) Tel: + 1 516 670 3200 www.planetpayment.com