Tech Transformers

Tinder making ‘huge’ change to boost matches by 30%

Tinder making change to boost matches
Tinder making change to boost matches

Dating app Tinder has made a "huge change" to its algorithm, in a move that will boost matches on the service, the company's chief executive said at the Web Summit conference in Dublin on Wednesday.

The official announcement is set to come over the next few days, but Sean Rad, the Tinder boss, gave hints about the modification.

"We're about to announce a huge change we've made to the algorithm and we have increased the number of matches by over 30 percent," Rad told an audience at the conference.

The dating app's co-founder said there will be a "series of things you're going to see that will help you make more sense of the sheer volume of people around you and build deeper connections...and more ways to connect."

While Rad could not give more details about the algorithm update, he said it was aimed at creating more "meaningful connections."

Tinder, where users are asked to swipe left or right on a potential connection, has been releasing features to make its app more engaging.

Earlier this year it unveiled a feature called "super like" where a user will be told if you have "super liked" them before they make a decision to accept or reject your match.

"For the first time with super like you could almost walk over and say hello and not just give them a wink across the is a deeper level of intent," Rad said.

Tinder users want long-term relationship


The CEO also released details of a survey of 300,000 Tinder users which showed 80 percent of people using the service are there to find a long-term relationship. The other 20 percent were looking for a more short-term friendship.

Rad also said there were 1.5 million dates stemming from Tinder a week, where people actually physically meet up. He added that over half of those end up in second dates.

And Tinder also creates 30 million matches a day, he added. In total, the app has seen over 9 billion matches since the company's launch in 2012.

Making money

Rad told the Web Summit crowd that the service was making money, with most of it coming from Tinder Plus, a paid service where users can search outside of their geographical location and also undo swipes.

But looking ahead, Rad said that its advertising business has potential to drive revenues. Earlier this year, Tinder launched its first video advert with Budweiser that allowed users to swipe left and right on it. The co-founder said that there will be a bigger focus on ads in the near future.

"The ad business is in its infancy…now it's starting to develop into a bigger business for us…you'll see a bigger push in Tinder Plus and the ad business," Rad said.