BlackBerry could post a profit next year, helped by the launch of its Priv model, as the company recovers after a bruising few years that saw it lose its dominant position in the smartphone market.
"The company is doing reasonably well now, from a financial standpoint, so now our focus is to grow our businesses," CEO John Chen told CNBC at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO Summit in Manila.
"We still have very high fixed costs but [handset] profitability will come next year."
For the three months ended August 29, BlackBerry reported a quarterly loss of $66 million, excluding one-time items like a non-cash credit tied to the value of debentures and restructuring charges.
The Toronto-based firm's first Android-powered device, the Priv, has received mostly favorable reviews following its official launch earlier this month.
"This [the Priv] is a big deal in terms of market acceptance and receptivity, we want the market to tell us what it likes and we can adjust accordingly," Chen said.
In the past, BlackBerry phones were criticized for a lack of apps but the Priv's Android software will open up the developer application program interface (API), Chen said.