PITTSBURGH, Dec. 11, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Michael Baker International, a global leader in engineering, consulting, planning, technical and professional services, shared its local and national expertise on infrastructure solutions at the 2015 Transportation and Engineering Safety Conference (TESC). The annual event drew engineers, designers, and safety specialists from across Pennsylvania and the mid-Atlantic region for sessions on design operations, safety and planning as they relate to transportation infrastructure development and management.
"As it has since its inception 75 years ago, Michael Baker International continues to play an integral role in the design, construction and evolution of key transportation assets in our nation's infrastructure – from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to I-95 along the Eastern Seaboard," said Steve Barber, P.E., PTOE, Harrisburg office executive for Michael Baker International. "Michael Baker experts know that the challenge is complex for communities large and small as states and cities face aging infrastructure and limited resources to fund the necessary improvements."
The following Michael Baker experts served as presenters at TESC:
- Larry Bankert, P.E., PTOE, director of toll road operations, delivered a presentation titled "Automated Work Zone Speed Enforcement in Pennsylvania" as part of a session called "Managing Work Zones." The session delved into different strategies for managing traffic through construction zones, including a closer look at tools for keeping track of multiple projects or lane closures.
- Steve Barber served as the moderator for a session titled "Transportation Systems Asset Management," which focused on Federal Highway Administration systems requirements as well as priorities from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT).
- Jim Katsafanas, P.E., PTOE, the firm's traffic and ITS practice leader, moderated a Michael Baker-sponsored session called "Getting to Zero," which explored the national initiative to eliminate highway fatalities. The Federal Highway Administration is committed to eliminating roadway deaths and serious injuries, and a growing number of states and cities have adopted "zero" fatality visions for their highways.
- Steve McGinley, P.E., technical manager, offered perspective on work zone safety as part of a session titled "PA Turnpike, PennDOT and Industry Initiatives." The session addressed a desire on the part of PennDOT, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and private industry to improve the quality and delivery of projects as a result of Pennsylvania's Act 89. Signed into law in 2013, the act provides funding for road projects, bridge repairs and public transit. By 2018, it is estimated that the state will have an additional $2.3 billion in funding per year, representing the largest increase in transportation infrastructure dollars in decades.
- Todd Trautz, P.E., traffic division manager, moderated a session titled "Traffic Signal Policy," which focused on policy updates aimed at better maintaining traffic signals across Pennsylvania. Steve Gault, P.E., PTOE, project manager, served as a presenter for the session.
Michael Baker was a platinum sponsor for the conference, held December 9-11 at the Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel in State College, Pa.
About Michael Baker International
Michael Baker International is a leading global provider of engineering and consulting services, which include planning, architectural, environmental, construction, program management, and full life-cycle support services as well as information technology and communications services and solutions. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions in support of U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker International has more than 6,000 employees in more than 90 locations across the U.S. and internationally. To learn more, visit www.mbakerintl.com.
CONTACT: Jeff Donaldson firstname.lastname@example.org (866) 293-4609Source:Michael Baker International