FIFA President Sepp Blatter has vowed to "fight" his suspension after himself and European soccer boss Michel Platini were both banned from soccer for eight years on Monday by the ethics committee of the sport's global governing body.
The pair, who were also fined, had been suspended for 90 days in October while an investigation was carried out into a 2 million Swiss franc ($2.02 million) payment by FIFA to Platini in 2011.
Both claimed that the payment was made due to an oral agreement between the pair in 1998 when Platini worked as an adviser to Blatter up until 2002. But FIFA said there was "no legal basis" for the agreement.
"Neither in his written statement nor in his personal hearing was Blatter able to demonstrate another legal basis for this payment. His assertion of an oral agreement was determined as not convincing and was rejected by the chamber," FIFA said in a statement.
Both men denied any wrongdoing and Blatter said he would use the legal system to appeal if necessary.
"I will fight. I will fight for me and I will fight for FIFA," Blatter told reporters at a press conference Monday, adding that he would take his complaints to FIFA's appeals body or use Swiss law if needed.
"I'm a Swiss citizen. In the Swiss law if you are suspended for eight years you must have committed something very, very important," he said.