Integrations with Splunk, Atlassian, SonarSource, AppDynamics and Jenkins Empower IT to Unify Pursuit of Digital Excellence From COBOL to the Cloud
Also Acquires Assets of ISPW, Leading Provider of Agile Source Code Management and Release Automation Solutions for Cross-Platform Development
- Siloed mainframe app development is no longer viable—because veteran platform specialists are retiring, equivalent skills are scarce, and traditional mainframe processes are insufficiently agile for the digital economy.
- Mainframe applications nonetheless remain invaluable and irreplaceable as systems of record and as back-end support for customer engagement—and, according to CIOs, will remain so for at least another decade.
- CIOs must therefore empower DevOps teams with strong mainstream skills—but little, if any, mainframe expertise—to effectively manage mainframe code using Agile processes and popular DevOps toolsets.
- Compuware is leading this critical transformation of mainframe DevOps with a strategic initiative that includes integrations with market leaders Splunk, SonarSource, Jenkins, Atlassian and AppDynamics.
- In support of this strategy, Compuware has also acquired the assets of ISPW Benchmark Technologies—the leading Agile source code management and release automation solution for cross-platform development.
DETROIT, Jan. 05, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Compuware Corporation, the world’s leading mainframe-dedicated software company, today announced far-reaching partnerships, a major acquisition, and continued innovation within its own industry-leading software portfolio—all in support of a game-changing initiative that will empower customers to incorporate mainframe applications into their broader cross-platform Agile/DevOps processes.
Photos accompanying this announcement are available at:
A video accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/69fd1791-f573-466f-a0df-d774b6348c25
Mainframe applications remain indispensable as systems of record and as back-end support for customer engagement. Unfortunately, despite decades of progress on other platforms, mainframe code is still managed by siloed teams using slow processes and obsolete tools. This situation is no longer tenable, because the digital economy demands software agility. Also, mainframe veterans are retiring and cannot be replaced in kind.
Compuware® is directly addressing this pressing issue by allowing CIOs to shift responsibility for mainframe applications to enterprise DevOps staff with mainstream skills using popular tools within today’s mainstream culture of agility and innovation.
By pioneering this historic shift of mainframe application into the Agile/DevOps mainstream, Compuware is uniquely enabling customers to:
- Ensure the long-term viability of core legacy COBOL applications—even as their most experienced mainframe developers retire
- More effectively and adaptively leverage mainframe application logic and associated data in concert with their other distributed/web/mobile software assets
- Better compete with new, disruptive market entrants
- Substantially improve DevOps efficiency in multi-platform enterprise environments
“If your mainframe application development isn’t Agile, your business can’t be agile,” said Compuware CEO Chris O’Malley. “Our mission is to help customers achieve that essential business agility by empowering Agile DevOps teams to master the mainframe just as they do other platforms in the multi-platform enterprise.”
An informative brief on the critical importance of “Mainstreaming the Mainframe” is available here.
Far-Reaching Partnerships and Integrations
In support of this strategy, Compuware is integrating with solutions from AppDynamics®, Atlassian®, Jenkins®, SonarSource®, and Splunk®—all leading mainstream vendors and/or open source. These integrations will help customers include the mainframe in their broader enterprise Agile/DevOps processes by allowing IT staff to perform mainframe-related tasks using popular mainstream tools.
“Compuware is doing exactly what we need them to do,” said Luis M. Bonilla, Team Leader, Technical Services Support at Acxiom Corporation. “They are opening up the mainframe to our non-mainframe staff so we can unleash the full potential value of our mainframe resources—and do it faster, more accurately, and more easily than we’ve ever been able to do it before.”
Compuware Acquires Assets of ISPW Benchmark Technologies
Compuware has also purchased substantially all of the assets of ISPW Benchmark Technologies—the leading Agile source code management and release automation solution for cross-platform mainframe/Windows/open systems development.
By providing end-to-end code management and release automation across all platforms, ISPW’s technology enables IT to rapidly fulfill business requirements, optimize code quality, and improve developer productivity.
“Joining Compuware will enable us to more aggressively invest in our capabilities to support an iterative and Agile approach to development and add more value by integrating into the broader enterprise DevOps ecosystem,” said ISPW President Paul Kuszyk. “By mainstreaming the mainframe, Compuware is transforming the market in a way that will give our customers cross-platform DevOps agility that is absolutely essential for competitive success in today’s fast-moving markets.”
Innovation Every 90 Days
In keeping with its commitment to deliver mainframe innovations and relevant updates to core products every 90 days, Compuware also added file and table I/O visualization to Topaz® Runtime Visualizer. This visualization enables even inexperienced developers to clearly understand how COBOL applications utilize mainframe data and the specific types of calls being made.
Previous quarterly innovations included:
- 1Q15: Topaz, which empowers developers and data architects to discover, visualize and work with both mainframe and non-mainframe data in a common, intuitive manner. Upgrade and integration of Strobe with BMC’s MainView and Cost Analyzer for combined best-in-class cost-aware workload analytics.
- 2Q15: Topaz Program Analysis which enables DevOps teams to understand COBOL and PL/l application logic, quickly discover problems, and assess program metrics.
- 3Q15: Topaz for Java Performance, which gives DevOps teams comprehensive visibility into Java Batch and WebSphere running on the mainframe.
- 4Q15: Topaz Runtime Visualizer, which empowers veteran and novice developers alike to work on old, complex, and/or poorly documented systems by providing graphical mapping of program calls.
“Compuware’s pace of innovation and clarity of market vision demonstrate that the company is practicing the agility it preaches,” said Robin Bloor, chief analyst and co-founder of The Bloor Group. “Any CIO facing the attrition of mainframe staff and insufficient mainframe application agility should put evaluation of Compuware’s re-invention of the platform at the top of their 2016 to-do list.”
For a more complete overview of Compuware’s innovation and accomplishments in 2015, visit https://lnkd.in/ej4_HY3
Compuware empowers the world’s largest companies to excel in the digital economy by fully leveraging their high-value mainframe investments. We do this by delivering highly innovative solutions that uniquely enable IT professionals with mainstream skills to manage mainframe applications, data, and platform operations. Learn more at compuware.com.
Follow us on:
For Sales and Marketing Information
Compuware Corporation, One Campus Martius, Detroit MI 48226, 800-521-9353, compuware.com.
Copyright © 2016 Compuware Corporation. Compuware, the Compuware logo, and Topaz are registered trademarks of Compuware Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. AppDynamics is a registered trademark of AppDynamics, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Atlassian is a registered trademark of Atlassian Pty Ltd in the United States and/or other countries. Jenkins is a registered trademark of Software In Public Interest, INC. SonarSource is a registered trademark of S.A, Switzerland in the United States and/or other countries. Splunk is a registered trademark of Splunk Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.