ST. LOUIS, Feb. 04, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Amdocs (Nasdaq:DOX), the leading provider of customer experience solutions, today released new research highlighting the need for operators to consider optimizing their radio access networks (RAN). This will enable operators to contend with the annual doubling of demand for data, increased network complexity, the increased demand for video viewing on smartphones and tablets, and the initial instability of new services being introduced such as voice over LTE (VoLTE). The research is based on analysis of more than 25 million voice and data connections from 80 different network operators around the world in the past 12 months.
Key findings include:
- VoLTE call drops can be four to five times higher than calls on 2G or 3G networks: VoLTE is an important and strategic service for operators as it offers operating expense (OPEX) and capital expense (CAPEX) reductions through the promise of repurposing 2G and 3G services. However, this study suggests that the quality of experience VoLTE provides initially, post-deployment, can be less stable than the traditional voice service it replaces, requiring aggressive tuning by the operator.
- Network data demand is increasing every year: Research suggests that the volume of mobile data usage is growing across the world at approximately 60 percent year-on-year1, particularly with increased demand for video on devices providing better entertainment opportunities to mobile users. However, with only 5 to 15 percent of Wi-Fi traffic going through mobile devices that is able to be accurately described as Wi-Fi offload, the study highlights that service providers need to offload more traffic from cellular networks to Wi-Fi networks, in order to realize greater cost and operational efficiencies.
- Seventy-five percent of network traffic in cities is in-building: In times of network congestion, indoor users face up to a 25 percent increase in network issues compared to outdoors users. By understanding and visualizing the real-world patterns of demand, coverage and congestion, operators could effectively target network optimization efforts at these problem areas to deliver a consistent, quality of network experience.
- Music and sport events create their own mobile ecosystems: SMS is still the killer app with an average of 70 percent of attendees at a concert or sporting event sending at least one text message during it, which causes spikes in network usage. Therefore, there is a need to manage network capacity during an event, with network cells around an event’s location carrying approximately 50 percent more traffic than the cells inside a stadium for example. This indicates there is considerable communication with fellow event attendees while going to the venue through email, text and social media. Meanwhile, it was also seen that international roamers upload almost 50 percent more data while at events than non-roamers.
- International roamers suffer poorer network experience: Despite the fact that international roamers can offer operators greater revenues than a corresponding locally-based subscriber, their network experience can be up to 25 percent worse. There is an opportunity for operators to realize greater monetization of services by isolating profitable international roamers, understanding their distinct usage patterns, and optimizing the network to better target them.
“The Amdocs State of the RAN research reinforces the sheer strain mobile networks are under,” said Ann Hatchell, head of network marketing at Amdocs. “In The New World of Customer Experience, service providers need to deliver a first-class network experience when and where it matters most. By leveraging the power of RAN software, service providers gain operational efficiencies and improved service agility with a centralized vendor-neutral approach. This allows them to optimize quality of experience, even under times of network congestion, and build better relationships with high value customers.”
- Gartner 2015 research "Market Trends: Mobile Video Apps and Data Plans- Usage and Future" and "Forecast: Mobile Data Traffic, Worldwide, 2011-2018."
- Read the full report State of the RAN 2016
- Learn more about Amdocs network management and optimization solutions
- Keep up with Amdocs news by visiting the company’s website
- Subscribe to Amdocs’ RSS Feed and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and YouTube
Amdocs is the market leader in customer experience software solutions and services for the world’s largest communications, entertainment and media service providers. Its portfolio powers The New World of Customer Experience™, where a wide array of innovative and personalized services are delivered seamlessly to end users, regardless of device or network. For more than 30 years, Amdocs solutions, which include BSS, OSS, network control and optimization, coupled with professional and managed services, have accelerated business value for its customers by streamlining complex operating environments, reducing costs and speeding time to market for new products and services. Amdocs and its more than 24,000 employees serve customers in over 90 countries. Listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market, Amdocs had revenue of $3.6 billion in fiscal 2015.
Amdocs: Embrace Challenge, Experience Success.
For more information, visit Amdocs at www.amdocs.com.
Amdocs’ Forward-Looking Statement
This press release includes information that constitutes forward-looking statements made pursuant to the safe harbor provision of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements about Amdocs’ growth and business results in future quarters. Although we believe the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, we can give no assurance that our expectations will be obtained or that any deviations will not be material. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties that may cause future results to differ from those anticipated. These risks include, but are not limited to, the effects of general economic conditions, Amdocs’ ability to grow in the business markets that it serves, Amdocs’ ability to successfully integrate acquired businesses, adverse effects of market competition, rapid technological shifts that may render the Company's products and services obsolete, potential loss of a major customer, our ability to develop long-term relationships with our customers, and risks associated with operating businesses in the international market. Amdocs may elect to update these forward-looking statements at some point in the future; however, the Company specifically disclaims any obligation to do so. These and other risks are discussed at greater length in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including in our Annual Report on Form 20-F for the fiscal year ended September 30, 2015 filed on December 10, 2015.
Media Contact: Sara Preto Fusion PR for Amdocs Tel: +1-212-651-4214 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Amdocs 1390 Timberlake Manor Parkway Chesterfield, MO 63017 USA www.amdocs.com +1-314-212-7000 tel +1-314-212-7500 fax