China has confirmed its first imported case of the deadly Zika virus, state media agency Xinhua reported in the early hours of Wednesday.
Citing the Naitonal Health and Family Planning Commission (NHFPC), Xinhua said the patient was a 34-year-old man from Ganxian county in Jiangxi province and who had recently traveled to Venezuela. The man developed symptoms on Jan. 28, before travelling through Hong Kong and Shenzhen to his hometown on February 5.
The man had been quarantined and treated in a Ganxian hospital since Feb. 6 and was recovering, with a normal temperature and a fading rash, the media outlet reported.
The NHFPC said the risk of the virus spreading as a result of the case was "extremely low due to low temperature," Xinhua reported.
Zika, for which there is currently no vaccine, has been reported in 33 countries, mostly in the Americas.