MCLEAN, Va., Feb. 17, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Iridium Communications Inc. (Nasdaq:IRDM) today announced that Iridium Push-to-Talk (PTT) is gaining momentum through the addition of new partners to expand the reach of its distribution network and develop additional applications for the service. Commercially launched in 2015 with seven major service partners, Iridium PTT is the world’s first global, satellite-based push-to-talk service, enabling communication between participants located anywhere on Earth.
“Our customers serve in military and defense positions, and require reliable and durable communications tools for use in any and all environments, so we rely on Iridium and its satellite network to provide global connectivity,” said Otto Hoernig III, CEO, Trace Systems. “Our recent order of Iridium Extreme® PTT devices reflects the confidence we have in their network, and we’re already receiving positive feedback on its performance from those using it in the field.”
Leveraging Iridium’s constellation of 66 cross-linked low-earth orbit satellites, Iridium PTT extends the push-to-talk “walkie talkie” model worldwide with the push of a button. The solution currently consists of the Iridium PTT service, the Iridium Extreme PTT handset, and the Iridium 9523 PTT core transceiver. This transceiver is being used by partners to develop new communication devices, further expanding enterprise applications, as well as a number of accessories and interoperability products. Iridium PTT works with Iridium’s existing constellation and is compatible with Iridium NEXT, the company’s next-generation satellite constellation, which is scheduled for completion in 2017.
The new Iridium service providers add distribution coverage to the Americas, Europe, Africa, Russia, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East. These include:
- MVS Group, a leader in mobile satellite communications, offers a wide array of products and solutions for customers around the globe on air, land and sea through its distribution groups MVS USA and MVS Communications Ltd Cypress.
- S4Si International Ltd. (S4Si), a strategic security and risk advisory business, supporting special forces, law enforcement and intelligence capabilities globally.
- Tesacom, the leading Latin American provider of remote area integrated telecommunication solutions, including satellite voice, data, text messaging services and IoE developments to government organizations, the military, humanitarian groups and corporate customers.
- Trace Systems, a provider of telecommunications, networking, cybersecurity and IT services as well as integrated systems and solutions to the U.S. government and coalition partners.
“Since the launch of PTT, we’ve received accolades from our partners and customers about how the Iridium PTT service is transformational, particularly given the new interoperability solutions. These solutions allow Iridium to be seamlessly integrated with terrestrial PTT systems, including land mobile radio systems,” said Joel Thompson, vice president and general manager, terrestrial business unit at Iridium. “Across all regions, our service providers are engaging a wide range of industries including foreign militaries, first responders, non-government organizations, oil and gas, and utilities, who are interested in deploying Iridium PTT to meet their communication needs.”
Iridium also welcomed new development partners who are seeking to leverage the satellite industry’s only platform for PTT devices and applications. These include:
- Atlantic Radio Telephone, a communications and navigation solutions business providing sales, support, installation, integration and repair services for organizations “off the grid.”
- Beam Communications, a global manufacturer of satellite communication equipment offering the widest range of Iridium solutions across all market segments.
- Borsight, a system engineering, integration and manufacturing services provider with a track record of technology development, system integration and program execution.
- Flightcell, which integrates Iridium services into aircraft communication systems to provide global phone, PTT and tracking capabilities.
- Lars Thrane, a manufacturer of satellite-based navigation and communication systems for the maritime market.
- Latitude Technologies, an aviation-approved manufacturer and provider of flight data monitoring, flight following and satellite data and voice communications equipment and services.
- NAL Research, a developer of custom PTT solutions for use by the DoD and other government agencies such as a multi-channel base-station that can capture, format and forward PLI data for inclusion into a common operating picture.
- Qinetiq, a technology company that combines technical expertise, domain knowledge and independent thinking to serve the defense, security and aerospace markets.
- Skytrac, a specialist in data-driven aviation solutions that elevate business decisions, improve efficiency and increase safety for fixed and rotary wing operators.
- Rockwell Collins, a pioneer in the development and deployment of communication and avionic electronic solutions for both commercial and government applications.
- Thales, the global technology leader in aerospace, defense, security, space and transportation, providing innovative solutions for mission critical environments operating on land, at sea, in the air and beyond in space - Together, Safer, Everywhere.
“Our PTT service is not limited to a satellite handset; rather, we’ve created an environment where partners can create their own devices and solutions, extending the functionality of the service. No other satellite company provides that level of support and openness with its partners,” said Eric Moore, director of business development for Iridium PTT. “End users want and need customized solutions that meet their unique requirements – an open platform lets our partners innovate in response to those requests.”
Iridium Extreme PTT is available to experience through Iridium’s media program. To participate, please email email@example.com. For more information on Iridium PTT, go to www.Iridium.com/IridiumExtremePTT.
About Iridium Communications Inc.
Iridium is the only mobile voice and data satellite communications network that spans the entire globe. Iridium enables connections between people, organizations and assets to and from anywhere, in real time. Together with its ecosystem of partner companies, Iridium delivers an innovative and rich portfolio of reliable solutions for markets that require truly global communications. The company has a major development program underway for its next-generation network — Iridium NEXT. Iridium Communications Inc. is headquartered in McLean, Va., U.S.A., and its common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the ticker symbol IRDM. For more information about Iridium products, services and partner solutions, visit www.iridium.com.
Press Contact: Diane Hockenberry Iridium Communications Inc. +1 (703) 287-7421 Diane.firstname.lastname@example.org