PITTSTON, Pa., March 24, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- With a network of more than 9,000 members, The Lucy Hobbs Project's commission to select six honorees each year for the distinction of Exemplary Women in the Dental Community is no easy undertaking.
This year, when The Lucy Hobbs Project® lauds these award recipients during its 4th annual celebration, to be held June 2 and 3 in Dallas, Texas, attendees will be awestruck by winners in the following categories: Clinical Expertise, Industry Icon, Mentor, Woman-to-Watch, Innovator, and Humanitarian. Free to attend, the celebration offers one CE credit and requires registration: www.regmadeeasy.com/benco/the-lucy-hobbs-project/2016
Though best known for the monumental stride made for her gender in 1866 -- earning the first dental doctorate -- what Dr. Lucy Hobbs Taylor did in the years that followed deserves equal time in the spotlight. Mentoring, establishing a network of support for others in her situation, and persevering in the face of all obstacles also contributed to Dr. Hobbs' legacy. Likewise, common denominators exist among the 24 women – 18 past honorees and 6 new winners - celebrated with an award that bears her name. Their dental excellence commands respect, and their ability to lead, teach, innovate, and drive change inspires amazement.
Powered by Benco Dental, The Lucy Hobbs Project is a national, long-term program based on three pillars – networking, innovating and giving back. Named after Dr. Hobbs, this project aims to bring women together from all facets of the dental industry – dentists, dental assistants, hygienists, receptionists, sales representatives and others. The project is free to join and offers networking opportunities, educational programs and charitable events.
Its annual celebration takes the opportunity to honor those who in some way have helped lead the charge for women in dentistry and embody the project goals. Among this year's Lucy Hobbs Award recipients are six pioneers for change, whose unwavering professional dedication merits accolades:
- Joyce Bassett, FAACD, FAGD, recipient of the Clinical Expertise award, studied biology as an undergrad at the University of Toledo at age 16, and entered the College of Dentistry at Ohio State by 19. Without skipping a beat, Dr. Bassett opened a private practice in Scottsdale, Arizona, with its focus on complex rehabilitation cases. Voted among the Top 5 Female CE Educators, this national lecturer and published author founded the Women Teaching Women Cosmetic Learning Facility, which has been an adjunct teaching site for the Arizona Dental School. The state's only accredited Fellow in The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Bassett recently earned the appointment of President for the organization.
- Col. Theresa S. Gonzales, Ret., DMD, MS, MSS, recipient of the Industry Icon award,continually enlightens her students as Director of Orofacial Pain Management and Professor of Oral Pathology at the Medical University of South Carolina - James B. Edwards College of Dental Medicine. Daily, she calls onthe vast knowledge amassed during a distinguished career in active federal service with the U.S. Army Dental Corps. A Diplomate of the American Boards of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Orofacial Pain, Forensic Dentistry and Forensic Examiners, Col. Gonzales most recently shared her vision with the Office of the Army Surgeon General. A dynamic lecturer who winds humor into dental education, Col. Gonzales has authored 50-plus scientific publications and is the recipient of the International College of Dentists Award for Excellence in Research, the Order of Military Medical Merit and the Surgeon General's A designator for clinical excellence.
- Susan Maples, DDS, recipient of the Mentor award, educates dental groups throughout the country, transferring expertise gained under the most renowned teachers in her field and at her practice of 30 years in Holt, Michigan. With her work in advanced dental restoration and innovative total health implementation strategies, Dr. Maples combines her love for dentistry and her passion for health. She is instrumental in positioning the dental profession to play a major role in the pending health care crisis. In the hopes of discovering pre-diabetes and diabetes sooner in the patient population, Dr. Maples recently was published for a study, Diabetes Detection in the Dental Office. Originator of the Hands-On Learning Lab™ Kit for children, Dr. Maples is recognized nationally for making a significant difference in children's oral and physical health. In her own office, she individually mentors her patients toward health and has inspired dozens toward a career in dentistry.
- Kadambari 'Kady' Rawal, BDS, CAGS, recipient of the Woman-to-Watch award,provides dental care to her patients at the Faculty Practice of Boston University Dental Health Center. Passionate about geriatric dentistry, she also provides dental treatment to the elderly living in long-term care housing in the Boston area. Dr. Rawal earned her BDS degree from D.Y. Patil University School of Dentistry in Mumbai, India, and later joined Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BUGSDM), where she graduated from the AEGD residency program and where she currently serves as Clinical Assistant Professor. She is the faculty mentor for the American Association of Women Dentists' Chapter at BUGSDM and also represents the Women in Dentistry Committee on the board of the Boston District Dental Society. As an advocate for BUGSDM's Women-to-Women program, she conducts monthly oral screenings for homeless, abused women in Boston and has also conducted dental outreach programs for women living within the red light districts of India.
- Pamela Schmidt, DDS, NMD, IBDM, recipient of the Innovator award, has a commitment to providing a holistic and whole body health approach to patients in her Rockford, Illinois dental practice.Certified in integrative biologic dental medicine and board certified as a naturopathic physician, Dr. Schmidt has been instrumental in changing dentistry, from being one of the first female dentists in Rockford to utilizing ozone therapy and introducing safe mercury removal protocol. Hers was the first dental office in Illinois to feature a mercury containment system, which ensures the waste is removed to a treatment plant and is not toxic to the environment.
- Mary Teddy Wray, DDS, recipient of the Humanitarian award, empowers her team with knowledge and confidence as owner and CEO of a dental practice in Bel Air, Maryland. In addition to inspiring with her clinical expertise, she demonstrates by example another vital ingredient in the formula for success: giving of oneself for a greater good. A graduate of Georgetown University School of Dentistry, Dr. Wray contributes as an active member of 10 professional associations. She dedicates her personal talents and resources to create safe havens and provide free dental services for victims of assault and abuse, as well as members of the homeless, elderly, and disabled populations. Her committed efforts help sustain more than 20 charitable organizations within her community and across the globe.
To learn more about the The Lucy Hobbs Project® and its 4th annual Celebration Honoring Exemplary Women in the Dental Community, or to sign up for The Lucy Hobbs Project®, visit: www.thelucyhobbsproject.com
- LucyHobbsProject_3rd_celebration2.jpg: The Lucy Hobbs Project, sponsored by Benco Dental, annually hosts a Celebration Honoring Exemplary Women in the Dental Community. Named for Dr. Lucy Hobbs, who, in 1866, became the first American female to earn a degree in dentistry, awards are presented to honorees who help lead the charge for women in dentistry and embody the project goals. Last year's event was hosted in Baltimore, Maryland (shown). The 4th annual event will take place June 2, 3 in Dallas, Texas.
- Headshots attached: Dr_Bassett.jpg, Dr_Gonzales.jpg, Dr_Maples.jpg, Dr_Rawal.jpg, Dr_Schmidt.jpg, Dr_Teddy Wray.jpg
About Benco Dental
Benco Dental, headquartered in Northeastern Pennsylvania, is the largest privately-owned dental distributor in the United States, offering a full array of supplies, equipment and services to dentists across the nation. Founded in 1930 by Benjamin Cohen, the company has remained family-owned and focused on its unique mission to "deliver success, smile after smile."
Within the past 85 years, the company has grown from a single downtown location to a national network of more than 65 regional locations, five distribution centers, and three design showrooms. Those design showrooms, one at the company's Pa. headquarters, one in Southern California, and one in Texas, feature North America's largest selection of dental equipment and technology, as well as a hands-on dental design experience, to assist dentists in the planning and construction of a new office.
In addition to offering the market's broadest choice of equipment and supplies, Benco features a suite of innovative material management tools like Painless®, its industry-leading on-line inventory management system, and BluChips®, dentistry's original and most rewarding frequent buyer club. Through alliances with selected Success Services, Benco also offers practice coaching, continuing education, equipment financing, and wealth management services. Benco, which has been named one of Pennsylvania's Best Places to Work for 12 of the past 14 years, is proud to boast a highly skilled team of more than 400 professionally trained sales representatives and over 300 factory-trained service technicians. For more information, visit benco.com or call 1.800.GO.BENCO.
About Lucy Hobbs
At age 26, Lucy Hobbs decided she wanted a career change. She had been teaching for ten years and felt a strong desire to pursue her true passion -- dentistry. Sounds reasonable, right? However, this was 1859 and female dentists simply didn't exist. Hobbs was promptly refused admission to dental school because of her gender. Undeterred, she convinced a professor from the Ohio College of Dental Surgery to accept her into their program. In three short years, Dr. Hobbs opened her own practice, was professionally recognized and allowed to join the Iowa State Dental Society. Dr. Hobbs was a true trailblazer who paved the way for other women's success.
To learn more and sign up, visit The Lucy Hobbs Project website at: www.thelucyhobbsproject.com
Photos accompanying this release are available at:
CONTACT: Media Contact: Kristie Ceruti, Benco Dental Marketing Communications Specialist 570 - 602-7047 // firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Benco Dental