PHILADELPHIA, April 18, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Leveraging what the firm has already been doing for decades in the technology space, Pepper Hamilton LLP today announced the expansion of its Technology Group through a new committee and leadership, focused on initiatives for further national and international reach. The group is comprised of key attorneys in a number of practice areas with decades of experience in all aspects of the technology industry.
Chris Miller serves as chair of the Technology Group, and Joe Guagliardo and Sharon Klein serve as vice chairs. Rooted in Pepper Hamilton’s rich history in the space, the group advises both companies where technology is the business, as well as companies where technology is critical to supporting operations. The multidisciplinary group comprises lawyers from across the country who understand the nuanced issues faced by businesses, and who are able to offer practical, tailored guidance on technology-related matters.
Clients of the Technology Group span a variety of industries – including financial services and banking, health-care, education, media, cable and telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and biotech, and more – and include technology vendors (e.g., software licensors, hardware manufacturers, technology service providers) and users (software licensees, hardware purchasers, purchasers of technology services) at all stages of the technology lifecycle.
To date, attorneys within the Technology Group have represented many high-profile clients and technology matters, including the following:
- iGATE/Capgemini merger for $4 billion
- iPipeline sale to Thoma Bravo for an undisclosed amount
- Fiberlink sale to IBM for an undisclosed amount
- eMoney Advisor sale to Fidelity for an undisclosed amount
- ColdLight sale to PTC for $105 million
- Infor in its global strategic acquisition program to continue growth as the 3rd largest enterprise software company
- Patent prosecution for Siemens
- Outsourcing and Electronic Medical Records Agreement for a major hospital system for more than $100 million
- Technology transactions and consortium representations for Comcast
- Intellectual property and technology matters for a large, multi-line insurance company
Major areas of practice within the group include:
- Data privacy and security – cloud computing, regulatory issues, and mobile and SAAS application concerns and cross-border issues
- Technology/IP litigation – regular representation in patent litigation matters relating to hardware and software technology
- Technology/IP transactions – in-bound and out-bound software licensing and other technology-related transactions
- Patent prosecution – technology patent prosecution in a variety of subject matters, including mechanical and electrical devices, electronics, communication systems, software and hardware, data collection and storage, and semi-conductors
- Corporate – M&A, venture and growth equity financing, outsourcing and complex strategic partnering transactions for businesses with substantial technology assets
- Litigation – all industries in litigation involving technology-related issues, including disputes over failed software implementation projects
- Tax – sales tax issues involving technology agreements
“The expansion of the Technology Group was a natural evolution for Pepper,” said Chris Miller, chair of the firm’s Technology Group. “We have a wide range of subject matter experts who handle technology-related matters across practice groups, as well as a strong concentration of attorneys who formerly practiced in-house and/or worked in the technology industry prior to practicing law.”
Joe Guagliardo, vice chair of the Technology Group, added: “Pepper has been handling major technology-related matters from the early days of mainframe technologies to the days before the Internet through today, including the latest developments in the Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain technology.”
Sharon Klein, also vice chair of the Technology Group, added: “In addition to our deep experience, we have offices in tech hubs from coast to coast – including Northern California, Southern California, New York, Boston and Philadelphia – truly allowing us to serve virtually any technology client, regardless of location or industry.”
About Pepper Hamilton
Pepper Hamilton LLP (www.pepperlaw.com) is a multi-practice law firm with more than 500 lawyers nationally. The firm provides corporate, litigation and regulatory legal services to leading businesses, governmental entities, nonprofit organizations and individuals throughout the nation and the world. The firm was founded in 1890.
Contact: Megan Keohane firstname.lastname@example.org 610-228-0404
Source: Pepper Hamilton