OVERLAND PARK, Kan., April 28, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Black & Veatch is ranked second in both telecommunications and power worldwide for U.S.-based engineering companies, according to the just-released Engineering News-Record (ENR) Top 500 Design Firms report.
Black & Veatch was also ranked fifth in water and ninth in the sewer/wastewater categories. The company, recently recognized with a Gold Edison Award for its innovative microgrid and a Distinction Award for Desalination Company of the Year at the 2016 Global Water Summit, is ranked 15th overall on the Top 500 list. It is also 15th in the Top 50 Designers in International Markets list.
“Continued strong performance in our telecommunications business is being driven by rising smartphone use and a desire for more bandwidth. This includes added capacity to share video and a rise in data-intensive applications such as those supporting smart city initiatives and the Internet of Things,” said Steve Edwards, Chairman and CEO. “Our power and water businesses are meeting strong demand for their services including, project management through to engineering, construction and consulting support. Overall our business success is fueled by growing infrastructure needs in the world’s developed and developing countries across the markets we serve.”
Black & Veatch projects in 2015 included:
- Floating LNG: Engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) services for the conversion of a Golar LNG carrier into a floating liquefaction facility. The company is also providing its successful PRICO® liquefaction technology to the project.
- Water Supply Resilience: Brought online a 30 million-gallons-per-day initial expansion of the world’s largest indirect potable reuse system. Black & Veatch provided preliminary and final design and construction support for the expansion. It supplies enough water to meet the needs of an additional 250,000 residents annually.
- Sustainability: A major Grand Rapids, Michigan, combined sewer overflow (CSO) program completed years ahead of state-mandated deadline. Black & Veatch provided planning, design and construction engineering services.
- Smart City Planning: Selected to develop smart infrastructure plan for Chula Vista, California. The company is advising city on hardware, software and communications networks to expand smart city programs.
- Power Generation: Providing engineering, procurement services and construction management (EpCM) for a dual-fuel natural gas turbine project at Woodbridge, New Jersey. The $600 million facility will help provide customers electric supply stability in the U.S. Northeast.
- Special Projects: Black & Veatch selected to participate in a $600 million USAID global infrastructure program. The contract focuses on water, environmental, energy and telecom services.
- Flood Resilience: Chosen to be part of a project to help protect Welsh communities in the UK from flooding events. This flood alleviation work includes site supervision and environmental and landscaping roles that benefit more than 357,000 Welsh residents.
- Solar energy: Providing design and consultancy services for the largest solar power plant in Southeast Asia. The Myanmar project will help address the lack of electricity for more than 75 percent of the country’s population.
- Safety: Engineer of record for remediation of Tennessee Valley Authority’s (TVA) Boone Dam. The project will ensure that the dam continues to provide safe, reliable hydroelectric power and water supplies for regional customers.
- Battery storage: Company expands work in design and installation of energy storage systems. Capacity increased at more than 20 commercial and industrial facilities in support of the client’s initiative.
- The demand for Black & Veatch’s services is being met by approximately 11,000 experts who are delivering engineering, construction, procurement and technical-related solutions.
- ENR is an industry publication of the McGraw-Hill Companies. ENR provides news, analysis, commentary and data that construction industry professionals use to do their jobs more effectively. It has been published since 1917.
- The Top 500 Rankings are based on revenues within the individual business lines.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building critical human infrastructure in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2015 were US$3 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and in social media.
Media Contact Information: GEORGE MINTER | +1 913-458-8001 P | +1 913-972-8811 M | MinterGA@bv.com 24-HOUR MEDIA LINE | +1 866-496-9149
Source:Black & Veatch Holding Company