ESPOO, Finland, May 12, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nokia has published its 2015 sustainability performance report, reaffirming its commitment to connect the world in a responsible way.
In 2015, four key sustainability priorities guided us: improving people's lives with technology; protecting the environment; respecting people in everything we do; and making change happen together. Today, we detailed our progress against these priorities in the Nokia People & Planet Report 2015, available at www.nokia.com/people&planet. The report outlines the sustainability achievements, targets, milestones and distinctions reached by the company in 2015.
Commenting on the report, Nokia CEO Rajeev Suri said: "Nokia's focus on high ethical standards means that while our company saw significant transformation in 2015, our sustainability vision remained the same: to design technologies that expand the human possibilities of the connected world while making it more productive, healthy and sustainable. Following the combination with Alcatel-Lucent, we are undertaking a new sustainability analysis in order to create the necessary measurable, long-term goals to ensure that Nokia's success in 2015 is benchmarked - and improved upon."
2015 Key achievements
During 2015, Nokia made great progress in energy efficiency and promoting responsible business practices. The highlights include:
- We launched a Zero CO2 emission base station site offering which helps to decrease base station site energy use by up to 70%.
- On average, the radio networks we modernized during 2015 now consume 45% less energy.
- Our overall energy consumption decreased by approximately 7% compared to the previous year and, as a result, our greenhouse gas emissions from offices and factories declined by approximately 12%, including our renewable electricity purchases.
- 51% of the electricity used was from renewable sources.
- We supported the UN Sustainable Development Goals and evaluated how our business can make the best impact in reaching these goals.
- Around 98% of employees completed our Ethical Business Training course.
- Our employee engagement survey told us that 94% of our employees fully support the Nokia values.
- Working with Save the Children, we are helping to increase the resilience of children and their communities in 350 villages in India. In 2015, we completed the first phase of the project: Save the Children helped communities in 176 villages prepare for disasters by creating specific disaster-management plans, school safety plans, and village task forces.
- We also evaluated how well we are incorporating children's rights into our core strategies by inviting Save the Children to review Nokia's processes and policies.
- Our suppliers exceeded our expectations as 180 of our key suppliers reported their climate impacts via CDP and over 90 of them set emission reduction targets.
Our efforts were recognized as world-class in a number of external sustainability reviews: CDP gave us a top score for our disclosure of climate change data, and ranked us in the CDP A-list, as well as in the Nordic Climate Disclosure Leadership Index for 2015; We were included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices and recognized as a top performer in the Ecovadis Supplier Sustainability Ratings; We retained our position in the Ethibel Sustainability Index (Global and Europe) and were again listed in the FTSE4GOOD index and the Corporate Knights' Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations list.
About the People & Planet Report
Nokia is committed to expanding its transparency and coverage in reporting, and to reviewing progress on its activities. Our report is prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative GRI G4 Core guidelines and is also compliant with the UN Global Compact advanced criteria. Our selected key sustainability indicators have been assured by an independent auditor.
To find out more, please go to www.nokia.com/people&planet. We are happy to engage with you on our ongoing sustainability journey. Please share your ideas and feedback by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or join the Twitter discussion with @nokianetworks and @nokia with #sustainability #CSR #responsibility.
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. Powered by the innovation of Bell Labs and Nokia Technologies, the company is at the forefront of creating and licensing the technologies that are increasingly at the heart of our connected lives.
With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things. http://www.nokia.com
Tel. +358 (0) 10 448 4900