NEW YORK, May 28, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The U.S. Postal Service dedicated a Forever Stamp Folio celebrating World Stamp Show-NY 2016, which opened today at the Jacob Javits Convention Center in New York City and continues through June 4. The United States plays host to the sanctioned international stamp show only once every 10 years, the first since being held in Washington in 2006.
"Whether you're a seasoned collector or you're new to the hobby, these stamps will serve as a wonderful souvenir of the show," said U.S. Postal Service Chief Marketing and Sales Officer Jim Cochrane while dedicating the new stamps. "The show gives visitors the unique opportunity to meet with thousands of fellow philatelists, expand their own collections and gain a greater appreciation of the many stamps and collections on display from around the world," added Cochrane.
To add to the excitement and appeal for stamp collectors, these new stamps have been printed in intaglio – line engraving reminiscent of fine 19th-century stamps and banknotes. These stamps will be sold only at the stamp show in New York, and through mail, telephone and online ordering channels for those unable to attend the show. The stamps will not be available through local Post Offices. They will be sold only as a complete set / Folio of 24 stamps, and the price is $11.28 (24 X $0.47).
The stamps are produced as an elegant folio presenting two panes of stamps, similar in design to the stamps issued in 2015 to announce World Stamp Show-NY 2016. The intaglio printing reverses the colors on the earlier stamps. The 2016 stamps have a white background and the intricate lines and ornamentation appear in blue or red. One pane features red stamps with a blue selvage, while the other pane has blue stamps and a red selvage. Verso text provides details about the show. Antonio Alcalá served as art director and Michael Dyer was both designer and typographer for the stamp pane.
The U.S. Postal Service is introducing four new products tailored to stamp collectors at the World Stamp Show – NY2016:
- The self-adhesive Classics Forever Stamps that will be dedicated Wednesday, June 1, will be the first water soluble First-Class Forever stamps. Desirable to collectors of stamps from delivered mail, the stamps can be removed from envelopes undamaged — simply using water.
- World Stamp Show Souvenir Portfolio, a coffee-table book featuring each of the eight stamp issues to be released during the show will include 3-D, augmented reality. The first pane of the book includes a pane of the August 2015 World Stamp Show stamps. Collectors are encouraged to collect a new pane each day.
- 2015 eGuide to U.S. Stamps, a fully digital version of the latest Postal Service Guide to Stamps includes all of the content in the beautifully re-designed printed edition. It features high-resolution stamp art with comprehensive search capabilities and pinch and zoom viewing options. The eGuide is available at usps.com, Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com and iTunes along with 1,000 other e-tailers.
- USPS StampApp, the only official cloud-based U.S. stamp collecting app that includes an entire stamp reference library along with user-generated content for stamp collectors to upload their own stamp collection. It is available on usps.com, Apple's App Store and Google Play.
At the World Stamp Show – NY2016, the U.S. Postal Service will hold an official stamp dedication almost every day of the show, to introduce a total of eight new stamp subjects.
Ordering First-Day-of-Issue Postmarks
Customers have 60 days to obtain first-day-of-issue postmarks by mail. They may purchase new stamps at the World Stamp Show, at the Postal Store usps.com/shop or by calling 800-STAMP-24. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes to themselves or others and place them in envelopes addressed to:
World Stamp Show NY-2016 Folio
Special Events Coordinator
380 West 33rd Street
New York, NY 10199-9998
After applying the first-day-of-issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes through the mail. There is no charge for the postmark up to a quantity of 50. There is a 5-cent charge for each additional postmark over 50. All orders must be postmarked by July 28, 2016.
Ordering First-Day Covers
The Postal Service also offers first-day covers for new stamps and stationery items postmarked with the official first-day-of-issue cancellation. Each item has an individual catalog number and is offered in the quarterly USA Philatelic catalog, online at usps.com/shop or by calling 800-782-6724. Customers may request a free catalog by calling 800-782-6724 or writing to:
U.S. Postal Service
PO Box 219014
Kansas City, MO 64121-9014
There are eight philatelic products available for this stamp issue:
- 586906, Press Sheet with Die-cut, $45.12.
- 586910, Keepsake, $14.95.
- 586916, First-Day Cover (set of 2), $1.82.
- 586921, Digital Color Postmark (set of 2), $3.24.
- 586924, Framed Art, $49.95.
- 586929, 2015 and 2016 Show Collector Keepsake, $28.95.
- 586930, Ceremony Program (random single), $6.95.
- 586933, Panel, $17.95.
These stamps and many of this year's other stamps may be seen on Facebook at facebook.com/USPSStamps or via Twitter @USPSstamps or on the website https://www.usps.com/stamps/, the Postal Service's online site for information on upcoming stamp subjects, first-day-of-issue events and other philatelic news.
The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
Please Note: For broadcast quality video and audio, photo stills and other media resources, visit the USPS Newsroom. Reporters interested in speaking with regional Postal Service public relations professionals should visit this link. Follow us on twitter.com/USPS and like us at facebook.com/USPS. For more information about the Postal Service, visit usps.com and usps.com/postalfacts.
A photo accompanying this release is available at: http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=40394