×

Munich police say shooter not linked to ISIS, but interested in mass killings

There were "no indications" that the teenage gunman who killed nine people and then himself at a mall in the German city of Munich had links to ISIS or any other terror group, police said Saturday.

Seven of the nine who were killed during the Friday evening rampage were themselves teens, officials announced. Three were female. The attack also injured 27, police said at a news conference.

Searches revealed that the unnamed 18-year-old who was born and raised in the Bavarian capital had "looked intensively" at the subject of "shooting rampages," Police Chief Hubertus Andrae told reporters.

A book entitled "Rampage in Head: Why Students Kill" was found among the suspect's belongings, officials said.

CHRISTOF STACHE | AFP | Getty Images

"There is no indication that there is a link to ISIS," Andrae said.

That the shooting was carried out on the fifth anniversary of white supremacist Anders Breivik's deadly rampage in Norway indicated that the attack may have been motivated by far-right ideology, he said.

"The connection is apparent," Andrae added.

It also appeared that the attacker had hacked a young woman's Facebook account and posted a message to lure people to the mall for a free meal, said police investigator Robert Heimberger.

Munich woke up to a state of emergency the day after the shooting spree, with police scouring the city for clues to explain why the teen opened fire at a McDonald's attached to the Olympia Einkaufszentrum shopping center Friday night.


The 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who apparently acted alone opened fire near a busy shopping mall in Munich on Friday evening, killing at least nine people in the third attack on civilians in Western Europe in eight days.

The pistol-wielding attacker, identified by Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae as a dual national from Munich, was later found dead of a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The shooter was believed to have staged the attack alone, opening fire in a fast food restaurant before moving to the mall.

In addition to determining the motive, police will have to find out how the 18-year-old got the firearm used in the attack in a country whose gun control system is described by the U.S. Congress Library as being "among the most stringent in Europe."

The gunman, whose body was found on a side street near the mall, was not identified but Andrae said he was not previously known to police.

Police commandos, armed with night vision equipment and dogs, raided an apartment in the Munich neighborhood of Maxvorstadt early on Saturday where the German newspaper Bild said the gunman lived with his parents.

"I am shocked, what happened to the boy? Only God knows what happened," Telfije Dalpi, a 40-year-old Macedonian neighbor of the family told Reuters. "I have no idea what happened - but he was a good human being. I have no idea if he did anything bad elsewhere."

There was a huge police presence in the street, which lies just north of Munich's old city.


Kosovan victims

Andrae said authorities saw no links to an attack in southern Germany last Monday in which an ax-wielding 17-year-old asylum-seeker injured five people in an incident claimed by the Islamic State group.

Police said they were investigating a video in which the gunman is heard shouting "I am German" and exchanging racial slurs and profanities with another man. "We are trying to determine who said what," a police spokesman said.

It was the third major act of violence against civilians in Europe in eight days. Previous attacks in France and Germany were claimed by Islamic State.

Google Map where shots fired at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in Munich, Germany. Reports of one dead and several injured.
Source: Google Maps
Google Map where shots fired at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in Munich, Germany. Reports of one dead and several injured.

At least 16 people, including several children, were in hospital and three were in critical condition, Andrae said.

Kosovan media reported that three of the victims were of Kosovan origin. Naim Zabergja, the father of one of the victims wrote on Facebook: "With great sadness I want to inform you that my son Dijamant Zabergja, 21, was killed yesterday in Munich."

A second victim was named by her brother on Facebook as Armela Segashi, who he said died along with a third, Sabina Sulaj.

Friday's incident snarled traffic as authorities blocked highways, closed the main railway station, and shut down public transport.

Thousands of people had been crowding the streets and squares in Munich's city center on Friday for a beer festival.

"There were a few people who came running towards us who were screaming and in panic. But mostly it was surprisingly calm," said Elena Hakes, who had been with a friend in the Odeonsplatz square.

The incidents in Germany follow an attack in Nice, France, in which a Tunisian drove a truck into crowds celebrating Bastille Day, killing 84. Islamic State claimed responsibility.