The U.S. will likely emerge the winner in a "cold currency war" that is heating up, an expert said.Currenciesread more
These box office numbers do not include the cost of production or marketing costs. They also don't count the billions in merchandising that Disney has made over the last...Entertainmentread more
Tariffs are the only instrument left for addressing China's systematic and excessive surpluses on its U.S. trades, writes Michael Ivanovitch.US Economyread more
In its latest attempt to build market credibility, China on Monday launched the Science and Technology Innovation Board, or "STAR Market," on which 25 companies were listed.China Economyread more
When Cathy Hsu and Tony Hsieh wanted to build an English language app for Chinese children, they decided to follow Facebook and Google's lead.Start-upsread more
Stocks in Asia traded lower on Monday afternoon, as a Nasdaq-style technology board on the Shanghai Stock Exchange marked its debut.Asia Marketsread more
Instagram began tests that hide "like" counts on posts. That means influencers who market products on Instagram will have to rely on different metrics to show success.Technologyread more
Peter Neupert worked for Microsoft and Amazon-backed Drugstore.com, where he got to know Jeff Bezos. He now advises start-ups.Technologyread more
The firing of the tear gas was the latest confrontation between police and protesters who have taken to the streets for over a month to fight a proposed extradition bill and...China Politicsread more
Last week shows that oil prices are not the indicator for Middle East tensions they once were, and worries about global demand and growing U.S. production has changed that...Market Insiderread more
Facebook Vice President David Marcus is the face of the company's Libra digital currency, but the original driving force was a 26-year-old female corporate-development...Technologyread more
Shares of Avon Products jumped 14 percent Tuesday after the cosmetics company beat Wall Street expectations for quarterly earnings, with reported growth in nine out of 10 markets.
The company brought in 7 cents per share for the second-quarter, versus 2 cents expected by analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Total revenue fell from $1.56 billion to $1.43 billion, in line with consensus expectations.
A stronger dollar took a toll Avon's bottom line, with foreign currency adding a 10 cent-per-share impact, the company said.
"Our performance improvements were broad-based with 9 of our top 10 markets growing in local currency," CEO Sherilyn McCoy said on the earnings call. "While we recognize that it's still early on our transformation and much effort and work lies ahead, I remain confident. Avon is on a path to sustainable, profitable growth."
The North American business of Avon is run independently from Avon Products, but is "in good hands", McCoy said. Avon announced a sale of a 80.1 percent stake in its U.S. and Canada division to New York-based private investment firm Cerberus Capital Management last December. Avon Products kept the remaining 19.9 percent, and will have two directors on the board. The strategic partnership deal closed in March.
The stock closed at $4.76 Tuesday, down from their 52-week high of $6.69. Shares have risen about 17 percent this year but are down 16 percent year over year.