Fox News struck back against the former anchor Andrea Tantaros on Monday, filing a motion to move her sexual harassment lawsuit into arbitration.
In papers filed in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan, the network said, "Tantaros is not a victim; she is an opportunist."
Last week, Ms. Tantaros filed the lawsuit in the same court, accusing Fox News of operating like "a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult" and said that she had been sexually harassed by Roger Ailes, the network's former chairman, Bill O'Reilly, the anchor, and others. In the suit, she claims that, after complaining about harassment, she was eventually marginalized and removed from the air. The lawsuit names Mr. Ailes; Bill Shine and Suzanne Scott, two programming executives; Dianne Brandi, the legal chief; and Irena Briganti, the network's top communications executive.
More from The New York Times:
Andrea Tantaros of Fox News Claims Retaliation for Sex Harassment Complaints
At Fox News, Kisses, Innuendo, Propositions and Fears of Reprisal
Ratings Are No Hit for MTV Video Music Awards
In the motion filed on Monday, lawyers for Fox News said they had looked into her harassment claims and found nothing, and that she had been let go for violating a major part of her contract: She did not get approval for a book she wrote titled, "Tied Up in Knots: How Getting What We Wanted Made Women Miserable."
"Tantaros suggests that her suspension for ignoring her employment obligations in connection with publishing a book was a pretext in retaliation for her complaints of supposed sexual harassment," the Fox News motion states. "The opposite is true: Tantaros's allegations about sexual harassment are a smoke screen to obscure her violation of her employment contract."