Jason DeSena Trennert, CEO and chief investment strategist at Strategas Research Partners, sat down with CNBC's Mike Santoli for a wide-ranging conversation on investing, dividends and the coming election.
"Dividends, which have historically been a big part of total return, are going to continue to be a big part of the total return. It's just that they may come from less traditional places," said Trennert. His analysis shows that 50 percent of investors' historical returns derived from dividends, and that trend is likely to prevail.
But rather than looking at traditional yield plays such as utilities and telecom, which are already up big this year, the strategist believes investors will seek opportunities in less-conspicuous areas such as technology.
"I like technology as a yield play," said Trennert, who recommends investors consider names such as Cisco as dividend plays, given their reasonable valuations and attractive yields.
Trennert, who's known as one of Wall Street's top strategist, also discusses:
- The major changes in Wall Street since he started his career.
- Some of the methods that work now, and those that don't work anymore.
- How he approaches his investment strategy and market outlook.
- The main risks lingering for investors.
- His favorite investment themes right now.
- How investors can election-proof their portfolios.
PRO subscribers can also read the entire transcript of the exclusive interview below.