×

Tiger Woods to withdraw from Safeway Open

Tiger Woods will not participate in this week's Safeway Open, nor in November's Turkish Airlines Open, NBC's Golf Channel first reported Monday.

The news comes just days after Woods committed to playing in the PGA Tour's season-opening event, taking place in Napa, California. In a statement released on his website Monday afternoon, he said that when he committed, he had every intention of playing, but after this weekend, he knew he "wasn't ready to compete with the best golfers in the world."

"After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA Tour or compete in Turkey," he said on his website. "My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be."

The last time Woods played was more than 400 days ago at the 2015 Wyndham Championship. Since then, he underwent microdiscectomy surgery on his back, as well as a follow-up procedure.

Woods' schedule on his website continues to show him as playing at the Hero World Challenge on December 1-4.

The PGA Tour did not provide comments to CNBC.