Donald Trump reportedly plans to attack Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim for allegedly working behind the scenes to undermine the Republican nominee, but a spokesman for Slim said such a claim would be incorrect.
Trump is expected to go after Slim because the The New York Times reported on allegations that the New York businessman had previously sexually assaulted two women, according to The Wall Street Journal. Slim is a shareholder of the Times and a donor to the Clinton Foundation.
A representative for Slim, however, said that the billionaire doesn't have any interest in influencing the election.
"He doesn't know him. He's never met him in any way. He doesn't know anything about his personal life and, to be honest, he doesn't care about his personal life," a spokesman for Slim told CNBC. "We never get involved in politics in Mexico, much less in the United States."
Trump's allegations would feed into his claims of a rigged election system and "false smears" that he says are part of a conspiracy bent on defeating him.
New York Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. said in a statement, "Carlos Slim is an excellent shareholder who fully respects boundaries regarding the independence of our journalism. He has never sought to influence what we report."
On Wednesday, the Times published a story entitled "Two Women Say Donald Trump Touched Them Inappropriately," which details claims that Trump touched one woman on a plane more than three decades ago and another in an elevator in 2005. NBC News has not confirmed the allegations.
Trump vociferously denied those allegations, calling them "totally and absolutely false."
—CNBC's Michelle Caruso-Cabrera and Reuters contributed to this report.