×

Mark Cuban, who repeatedly dissed Trump as unfit for office, now says he's 'our number one draft pick'

Billionaire investor Mark Cuban said Wednesday it's probably best to wait until Donald Trump takes the Oval Office before judging him, calling the president-elect America's "number one draft pick."

"He's who we put our hopes and dream with. Now it is easier because we haven't played a game yet," Cuban said on CNBC's "Fast Money Halftime Report." "No reason to rush to judgment or come to any conclusions now. Let's see what happens starting January 21st and we'll go from there. I hope he's a superstar."

Cuban, who was a supporter of Democrat Hillary Clinton, previously said Trump had the potential to drag down the stock market and wasn't fit to be president. But when asked on Wednesday about Trump's recent Twitter complaint on airplane manufacturer Boeing, Cuban said it's really up to the media and others to decide how they want to react to Trump's tweets.

"The reality that — whether it is me tweeting or anybody is tweeting, it is a way to reach other celebs, other verified users, and reach the media," he said. "So, the question isn't what the president-elect tweets or anybody tweets that's high profile. It's how the media handles that. We've kind of fallen into the literals and the serious nerves. And the literals will, you know, read about the tweets and the Times and elsewhere. And the serious-ers will read it in Breitbart and other places."

Cuban added that as much as people like to think Twitter reaches everybody, it doesn't.

"If I have 6 million followers, probably 40 percent of those are bots, probably another 20 percent are overseas, and another 80 percent aren't going to see any given tweet anyways."

Disclosure: CNBC owns the exclusive off-network cable rights to "Shark Tank," which features Mark Cuban as a judge.