May 10, 2017; Copenhagen, Denmark;
Interim Report for the First Quarter of 2017
- USD 255 million in net sales of DARZALEX® (daratumumab); resulting in royalty income of DKK 211 million
- DARZALEX received positive opinion from European regulatory authorities for relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma
- Judith Klimovsky, MD appointed Chief Development Officer
- Phase II study of daratumumab in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (CARINA) did not proceed to stage 2 of trial
“In the first quarter of 2017 we received a positive regulatory opinion for DARZALEX in combination with standard therapies for relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma in the EU, and continued to progress our other pipeline projects. As part of our aim to grow into a sustainably profitable company, we also strengthened our executive management team with the appointment of Judith Klimovsky, MD, as Executive Vice President and Chief Development Officer,” said Jan van de Winkel, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer of Genmab.
Financial Performance First Quarter of 2017
- Revenue was DKK 251 million in the first quarter of 2017 compared to DKK 170 million in the first quarter of 2016. The increase of DKK 81 million, or 48%, was mainly driven by increased DARZALEX royalties, partly offset by a decrease in milestone income.
- Operating expenses were DKK 205 million in the first quarter of 2017 compared to DKK 154 million in the first quarter of 2016. The increase of DKK 51 million, or 33%, was due to the additional investment in our pipeline of products, including the advancement of tisotumab vedotin, HuMax®-AXL-ADC, HexaBody®-DR5/DR5, DuoBody®-CD3xCD20, and the various products in our pre-clinical pipeline.
- Operating income was DKK 46 million in the first quarter of 2017 compared to DKK 16 million in the first quarter of 2016. The increase of DKK 30 million, or 188%, was driven by higher revenue which was partly offset by the increased operating expenses in 2017.
- On March 31, 2017, Genmab had a cash position of DKK 4,751 million compared to DKK 3,922 million at December 31, 2016. This represented a net increase of DKK 829 million, which was mainly driven by positive working capital adjustments of DKK 665 million related to milestones achieved in the fourth quarter of 2016 that were received in 2017, proceeds from the exercise of warrants of DKK 103 million, and operating income.
- April: The European Commission granted a marketing authorization for DARZALEX in combination with lenalidomide and dexamethasone, or bortezomib and dexamethasone, for the treatment of adult patients with multiple myeloma who have received at least one prior therapy. The approval converts the previous conditional marketing authorization for DARZALEX to a full approval. Genmab will receive milestone payments totaling USD 48 million from Janssen in connection with the first commercial sales of DARZALEX under the expanded label. The sales are expected to occur quickly after the approval.
Genmab is maintaining its 2017 financial guidance published on February 22, 2017.
Genmab will hold a conference call in English to discuss the results for the first quarter of 2017 today, Wednesday, May 10, at 6.00 pm CEST, 5.00 pm BST or 12.00 pm EDT. The dial in numbers are:
+1 212 444 0896 (US participants) and ask for the Genmab conference call
+44 20 3427 1910 (international participants) and ask for the Genmab conference call
A live and archived webcast of the call and relevant slides will be available at www.genmab.com.
Rachel Curtis Gravesen, Senior Vice President, Investor Relations & Communications
T: +45 33 44 77 20; M: +45 25 12 62 60; E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The interim report contains forward looking statements. The words “believe”, “expect”, “anticipate”, “intend” and “plan” and similar expressions identify forward looking statements. Actual results or performance may differ materially from any future results or performance expressed or implied by such statements. The important factors that could cause our actual results or performance to differ materially include, among others, risks associated with product discovery and development, uncertainties related to the outcome and conduct of clinical trials including unforeseen safety issues, uncertainties related to product manufacturing, the lack of market acceptance of our products, our inability to manage growth, the competitive environment in relation to our business area and markets, our inability to attract and retain suitably qualified personnel, the unenforceability or lack of protection of our patents and proprietary rights, our relationships with affiliated entities, changes and developments in technology which may render our products obsolete, and other factors. For a further discussion of these risks, please refer to the section “Risk Management” in Genmab’s annual report, which is available on www.genmab.com and the “Significant Risks and Uncertainties” section in the interim report. Genmab does not undertake any obligation to update or revise forward looking statements in the interim report nor to confirm such statements in relation to actual results, unless required by law.
Genmab A/S and its subsidiaries own the following trademarks: Genmab®; the Y-shaped Genmab logo®; Genmab in combination with the Y-shaped Genmab logo™; the DuoBody logo®; the HexaBody logo™; HuMax®; HuMax-CD20®; DuoBody®; HexaBody® and UniBody®. Arzerra® is a trademark of Novartis AG or its affiliates. DARZALEX® is a trademark of Janssen Biotech, Inc.
Download the full Interim Report for the first quarter of 2017 on attachment or at www.genmab.com.
CVR no. 2102 3884
LEI Code 529900MTJPDPE4MHJ122
1260 Copenhagen K