SYDNEY, Aug 8 (Reuters) - Shanghai aluminium futures jumped more than 3 percent in a robust start to base metals trading on Tuesday, lifted by hefty gains in steel-related futures in China.
Iron ore and steel markets are typically used as indicators of demand for non-ferrous metals such as aluminium that are linked to infrastructure and construction activity.
* ALUMINIUM: The most traded aluminium contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange was up 3.4 percent to 15,550 yuan ($2,314) by 0149 GMT, the highest price in more than 4 -1/2 years.
* LME ALUMINIUM: Three-month London Metal Exchange aluminium , rose 0.8 percent to $1,980 a tonne, the highest since December 2014, according to Thomson Reuters data.
* CHINA CAPACITY CUTS: China earlier this year ordered steel and aluminium producers in 28 cities to slash output during winter as it fights smog. Last week, the key steel producing area of Tangshan and other parts of Hebei province said they will implement the order.
* REBAR UP: Chinese rebar steel futures rose another 1.2 percent afer surging as much as 7 percent on Monday to their highest in more than four years.
* COPPER RISING: ShFE copper rose more than 1 percent to 50,940 yuan a tonne. LME copper was 0.2 percent higher at $6,428.50 a tonne, coming close to retesting Monday's 14-month peak of $6,447.50.
* ZINC PRICES: Also benefiting from the Chinese steel price surge was zinc, used mainly to galvanise steel. LME zinc gained 1 percent to $2,886 a tonne. ShFE zinc was up 2.5 percent to more than a 7-1/2-year high. high
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian shares neared decade peaks on Tuesday thanks to optimism on the global economy and a rash of records on Wall Street, while major currencies were becalmed ahead of Chinese trade data.
DATA AHEAD (GMT)
0130 Australia NAB business conditions index July
0600 Germany Trade data June
0645 France Trade data June
1000 U.S. Small-business confidence index July
1400 U.S. JOLTS Job openings June
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 6.7207 Chinese yuan renminbi)
(Reporting by James Regan; Editing by Richard Pullin)