LONG BEACH, N.Y., Aug. 09, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Planet Payment, Inc. (NASDAQ:PLPM), a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services, today announced its results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017.
Financial Highlights for the Second Quarter Ended June 30, 2017
- Total revenue for the quarter was $12.5 million, compared to $13.1 million for 2016.
- Net income for the quarter was $2.0 million, compared to $1.3 million for 2016.
- Adjusted EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA margins for the quarter was $3.4 million or 27%, compared to $2.8 million or 22% for 2016.
Refer to Table 1 for reconciliation of net income to Adjusted EBITDA (a non-GAAP measure).
- Launched UnionPay International’s SecurePlus Multi-Currency E-Commerce Solution
- Continued full commercial roll-out of Pay in Your Currency with HDFC Bank in India
- Announced the launch of Pay in Your Currency with Kenya Commercial Bank
- Announced multi-year contract extention and merchant milestone with Network International
- Announced partnership with WorldPay to Launch DCC at ATMs across 70,000 ATMs in the US
Outlook for Fiscal Year 2017
Planet Payment revises its revenue guidance, while reaffirming its net income, adjusted EBITDA and fully diluted earnings per share guidance for the full year 2017 as follows:
- Net revenue for the year is estimated to be in the range of $57.0 million and $59.0 million, a change from our prior guidance of $60.1 million and $61.5 million.
- Net income for the year is estimated to be in the range of $9.1 million and $10.1 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the year is estimated to be in the range of $17.0 million and $18.0 million (see Table 3 for reconciliation of prospective net income to Adjusted EBITDA).
- Fully diluted earnings per share are estimated to be in the range of $0.16 and $0.18 based on 52.0 million fully-diluted common shares outstanding.
“Planet Payment continues to make progress on the roll-out of existing customer implementations as well as signing new acquirer customers that will serve as the engine for growth in future quarters,” said Carl Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Planet Payment. “Our momentum demonstrates the continued underlying market demand for our multi-currency solutions and the ability of Planet Payment to deliver superior processing solutions to acquirers on a worldwide basis.”
The Company will host a conference call to discuss Second Quarter financial results today at 8:30 am New York time. Carl J. Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Robert Cox, President and Chief Operating Officer, and Raymond D’Aponte, Chief Financial Officer, will host the call. The call will be webcast live from the Company’s investor relations website at http://ir.planetpayment.com/. The conference call can also be accessed live over the phone by dialing 1-877-407-0792, or for international callers 1-201-689-8263. A replay will be available approximately two hours after the call concludes and can be accessed on our website or by dialing 1-844-512-2921, or for international callers 1-412-317-6671, and entering the conference ID 13667922. The replay will be available until our next earnings call on our website or via telephone until August 16, 2017.
Additional analysis of the Company’s performance can be found in “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” included in the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the three and six months ended June 30, 2017 to be filed at www.sec.gov and posted on the Company’s investor relations website.
About Planet Payment
Planet Payment is a provider of international payment and transaction processing and multi-currency processing services. The Company provides its services to approximately 177,000 active merchant locations in 22 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, primarily through its acquiring bank and processor customers, as well as through its own direct sales force. Our point-of-sale and e-commerce services help merchants sell more goods and services to consumers, and together with our ATM services, are integrated within the payment card transaction flow, enabling our acquiring customers, their merchants and consumers to shop, pay, transact and reconcile payment transactions in multiple currencies, geographies and channels.
Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements.
Information contained in this announcement may include “forward-looking statements.” All statements other than statements of historical facts included herein, including, without limitation, those regarding the financial position, business strategy, plans and objectives of management for future operations of both Planet Payment and its business partners, net revenue, net income, Adjusted EBITDA, diluted earnings per share, future service launches with customers and new initiatives and customer pipeline are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on a number of assumptions regarding Planet Payment’s present and future business strategies, and the environment in which Planet Payment expects to operate in the future, which assumptions may or may not be fulfilled in practice. Implementation of some or all of the new services referred to is subject to regulatory or other third party approvals. Actual results may vary materially from the results anticipated by these forward-looking statements as a result of a variety of risk factors, including the risk that implementation, adoption and offering of the service by processors, acquirers, merchants and others may take longer than anticipated, or may not occur at all; regulatory changes and changes in card association regulations and practices; changes in domestic and international economic conditions; and changes in volume of international travel and commerce and others. Additional risks may arise with respect to commencing operations in new countries and regions, of which Planet Payment is not fully aware at this time. See the Company’s Annual Report Form 10-K for the Fiscal Year ended December 31, 2016 filed at www.sec.gov for other risk factors which investors should consider. These forward-looking statements speak only as to the date of this announcement and cannot be relied upon as a guide to future performance. Planet Payment expressly disclaims any obligation or undertaking to disseminate any updates or revisions to any forward-looking statements contained in this announcement to reflect any changes in its expectations with regard thereto or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any statement is based.
Non-GAAP Financial Information
The Company provides certain non-GAAP financial measures in this statement. Management believes that Adjusted EBITDA, when viewed with our results under GAAP and the accompanying reconciliations, provides useful information about our period-over-period results. Adjusted EBITDA is presented because management believes it provides additional information with respect to the performance of our fundamental business activities and is also frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in the evaluation of comparable companies. We also rely on Adjusted EBITDA as a primary measure to review and assess the operating performance of our company and our management team in connection with our executive compensation. These non-GAAP key business indicators, which include Adjusted EBITDA, should not be considered replacements for and should be read in conjunction with the GAAP financial measures.
We define Adjusted EBITDA as GAAP net income adjusted to exclude: (1) interest expense, (2) interest income, (3) provision for income taxes, (4) depreciation and amortization, (5) stock-based compensation expense and (6) certain other items management believes affect the comparability of operating results. Please see “Adjusted EBITDA” below for more information and for a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to net income, the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP.
|Table 1. Reconciliation of Net Income to Adjusted EBITDA|
|For the three and six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|June 30,||June 30,|
|Provision for income taxes||474,946||149,058||1,010,004||386,408|
|Depreciation and amortization||492,513||618,103||1,045,495||1,227,093|
|Stock-based compensation expense||248,647||576,931||574,519||1,180,899|
|Restructuring charges and other||134,985||125,268||200,443||125,268|
|Adjusted EBITDA (non-GAAP)||$||3,412,848||$||2,834,706||$||6,425,567||$||6,059,571|
|Table 2. Explanation of Key Metrics|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|June 30,||June 30,|
|Total active merchant locations (at period end)(1)||176,870||178,198||176,870||178,198|
|Total settled transactions processed(2)||48,054,316||45,680,275||94,565,008||99,071,948|
|Total settled dollar volume processed(3)||$||2,248,334,128||$||1,962,972,987||$||4,443,434,026||$||4,026,255,657|
|Adjusted EBITDA (non-GAAP)(4)||$||3,412,848||$||2,834,706||$||6,425,567||$||6,059,571|
|Multi-currency processing services key metrics:|
|Active merchant locations (at period end)(1)||119,692||105,987||119,692||105,987|
|Settled transactions processed(5)||4,957,236||3,888,083||10,023,708||8,162,182|
|Settled dollar volume processed(6)||$||725,725,940||$||662,524,562||$||1,481,651,449||$||1,388,799,284|
|Average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed(7)||1.17||%||1.20||%||1.14||%||1.19||%|
|Payment processing services key metrics:|
|Active merchant locations (at period end)(1)||59,176||73,728||59,176||73,728|
|Payment processing services revenue(8)||$||4,005,417||$||5,144,770||$||8,301,398||$||10,195,051|
|Settled transactions processed(9)||43,390,839||41,969,598||85,247,940||91,231,000|
|Settled dollar volume processed(10)||$||1,572,046,750||$||1,333,260,862||$||3,061,766,773||$||2,697,846,395|
- We consider a merchant location to be active as of a date if the merchant completed at least one revenue-generating transaction at the location during the 90-day period ending on such date. The total number of active merchant locations exceeds the total number of merchants, as merchants may have multiple locations. As of June 30, 2017 and 2016, there were 1,998 and 1,517 active merchant locations, respectively, included in both multi-currency and payment processing active merchant locations but are not included in total active merchant locations, in order to eliminate counting these locations twice.
- Represents total settled transactions (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups).
- Represents total settled dollar volume processed through both our multi-currency and payment processing services.
- We define Adjusted EBITDA as GAAP net income adjusted to exclude (1) interest expense, (2) interest income, (3) (benefit) provision for income taxes, (4) depreciation and amortization, (5) stock-based compensation expense and (6) certain other items management believes affect the comparability of operating results. Please see “—Adjusted EBITDA” in the 10-Q filing for more information and for a reconciliation of net income to Adjusted EBITDA, the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with GAAP.
- Represents settled transactions processed using our multi-currency processing services (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups).
- Represents the total settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services.
- Represents the average net foreign currency mark-up percentage earned on settled dollar volume processed using our multi-currency processing services. The average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed is calculated by taking total multi-currency processing services net revenue ($8.5 million and $8.0 million for the three months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016, respectively, and $16.9 million and $16.6 million for the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016, respectively) and dividing by settled dollar volume processed (see footnote 6 above). For purposes of calculating “Average net mark-up percentage on settled dollar volume processed,” multi-currency processing services revenue includes revenue related to multi-currency transactions only.
- Represents revenue earned and reported on payment processing services.
- Represents settled transactions processed using our payment processing services (excluding other transaction types such as authorizations and rate look-ups).
- Represents the total settled dollar volume processed using our payment processing services.
|Table 3. Reconciliation of Prospective Net Income to Adjusted EBITDA|
|For the year ending December 31, 2017|
|Interest expense, net||0.3||0.3|
|Provision for income taxes||4.3||4.3|
|Depreciation and amortization||2.0||2.0|
|Stock-based compensation expense||1.1||1.1|
|Restructuring charges and other||0.2||0.2|
|Adjusted EBITDA (non-GAAP)||$||17.0||$||18.0|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|As of||As of|
|June 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||7,283,792||$||13,305,816|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowances of $0.1 million as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016||6,851,483||6,060,533|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||2,100,989||1,940,544|
|Total current assets||21,789,151||26,288,365|
|Property and equipment, net||1,607,115||1,674,410|
|Software development costs, net||4,153,393||4,197,142|
|Intangible assets, net||622,716||827,474|
|Deferred tax asset||22,119,464||22,673,206|
|Other long-term assets||1,555,719||2,095,817|
|Total other assets||30,929,024||32,295,237|
|Liabilities and stockholders’ equity|
|Due to merchants||5,729,411||5,199,390|
|Current portion of capital leases||196,483||166,966|
|Total current liabilities||10,656,458||11,550,570|
|Other long-term liabilities||589,970||854,991|
|Total long-term liabilities||589,970||10,770,991|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Convertible preferred stock—10,000,000 shares authorized as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016, $0.01 par value: Series A—1,535,398 shares issued and outstanding as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016; $6,141,592 aggregate liquidation preference as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016||15,354||15,354|
|Common stock—250,000,000 shares authorized as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016, $0.01 par value, and 60,232,922 shares issued and 49,857,568 shares outstanding as of June 30, 2017, and 59,666,333 shares issued and 49,290,979 shares outstanding as of December 31, 2016||602,329||596,663|
|Treasury stock, at cost, 10,375,354 shares as of June 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016||(31,726,486||)||(31,726,486||)|
|Additional paid-in capital||113,062,193||111,327,321|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(572,309||)||(654,408||)|
|Total stockholders’ equity||41,471,747||36,262,041|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||52,718,175||$||58,583,602|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income (unaudited)|
|Three months ended||Six months ended|
|June 30,||June 30,|
|Cost of revenue:|
|Payment processing service fees||2,085,445||2,734,689||4,201,054||5,425,913|
|Processing and service costs||3,205,246||3,524,123||6,397,319||7,024,791|
|Total cost of revenue||5,290,691||6,258,812||10,598,373||12,450,704|
|Selling, general and administrative expenses||4,681,705||5,204,892||9,969,043||10,685,606|
|Total operating expenses||9,979,680||11,588,972||20,640,158||23,261,578|
|Income from operations||2,536,703||1,514,404||4,605,110||3,526,311|
|Other (expense) income:|
|Total other expense, net||(92,228||)||(82,623||)||(208,037||)||(96,875||)|
|Income from operations before provision for income taxes||2,444,475||1,431,781||4,397,073||3,429,436|
|Provision for income taxes||(474,946||)||(149,058||)||(1,010,004||)||(386,408||)|
|Basic net income per share applicable to common stockholders||$||0.04||$||0.02||$||0.06||$||0.06|
|Diluted net income per share applicable to common stockholders||$||0.04||$||0.02||$||0.06||$||0.05|
|Weighted average common stock outstanding (basic)||49,238,405||49,602,206||$||49,078,889||50,186,828|
|Weighted average common stock outstanding (diluted)||51,272,280||51,987,695||51,322,296||52,401,790|
|Planet Payment, Inc.|
|Condensed Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows (unaudited)|
|Six Months Ended|
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
|Adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operating activities:|
|Stock-based compensation expense||574,519||1,180,899|
|Depreciation and amortization expense||1,045,495||1,330,238|
|Provision for doubtful accounts||3,437||58,595|
|Deferred income taxes||553,742||—|
|Disposal of property and equipment||—||500|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities:|
|(Increase) decrease in settlement assets||(571,415||)||498,553|
|(Increase) decrease in accounts receivables, prepaid expenses and other current assets||(881,941||)||358,980|
|Decrease in other long-term assets||514,274||287,923|
|Decrease in accounts payable and accrued expenses||(1,664,578||)||(2,885,420||)|
|Increase (decrease) in due to merchants||530,021||(438,099||)|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||3,542,688||3,408,978|
|Cash flows from investing activities:|
|Increase in restricted cash||(19,796||)||(9,629||)|
|Increase in merchant reserves||—||9,684|
|Purchase of property and equipment||(209,550||)||(109,555||)|
|Capitalized software development||(415,646||)||(677,822||)|
|Purchase of intangible assets||(12,296||)||(353||)|
|Net cash used in investing activities||(657,288||)||(787,675||)|
|Cash flows from financing activities:|
|Proceeds from issuance of common stock||1,293,738||1,965,380|
|Principal payments on capital lease obligations||(148,902||)||(193,002||)|
|Borrowings under credit facility||—||13,916,000|
|Repayments under credit facility||(9,916,000||)||(4,000,000||)|
|Purchase of treasury stock||—||(17,843,447||)|
|Common stock repurchases for tax withholdings||(136,260||)||(655,104||)|
|Net cash used in financing activities||(8,907,424||)||(6,810,173||)|
|Effect of exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents (*)||—||—|
|Net decrease in cash and cash equivalents||(6,022,024||)||(4,188,870||)|
|Cash and cash equivalents at beginning of period||13,305,816||14,675,515|
|Cash and cash equivalents at end of period||$||7,283,792||$||10,486,645|
|Cash paid for:|
|Non-cash investing and financing activities:|
|Common stock issued for preferred stock conversion||—||21,629|
|Common stock issued for stock options exercised||262||98|
|Assets acquired under capital leases||47,067||122,630|
|Accrued capitalized hardware, software and fixed assets||77,259||63,291|
|Capitalized stock-based compensation||8,541||14,018|
|(*) For the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016, the effect of exchange rate changes on cash and cash equivalents was immaterial.|
Enquiries: Planet Payment, Inc. Raymond D’Aponte, Chief Financial Officer Tel: + 1 516 670 3200 www.planetpayment.com