GREENWICH, Conn., Aug. 11, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oxford Lane Capital Corp. (“Oxford Lane”, "Fund", “we”, “us” or “our”) (Nasdaq:OXLC) (Nasdaq:OXLCO) (Nasdaq:OXLCM) announced today the following financial results and related information:
- Net asset value per share as of June 30, 2017 stood at $10.18 compared with a net asset value per share at March 31, 2017 of $10.20.
- Net investment income, calculated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”), was approximately $9.8 million, or approximately $0.42 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
- Our core net investment income (“Core NII”) was approximately $12.1 million, or approximately $0.52 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
• Core NII represents net investment income adjusted for additional cash income distributions received, or entitled to be received (if any, in either case), on our collateralized loan obligation (“CLO”) equity investments. (See additional information under “Supplemental Information Regarding Core Net Investment Income” below).
• While our experience has been that cash flow distributions have historically represented useful indicators of our CLO equity investments’ annual taxable income, we believe that current and future cash flow distributions may represent less accurate indicators of taxable income with respect to our CLO equity investments than they have in the past.
- Total investment income, calculated in accordance with GAAP, amounted to approximately $17.9 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
• For the quarter ended June 30, 2017, we recorded GAAP investment income from our portfolio as follows:
• approximately $17.0 million from our CLO equity investments,
• approximately $0.3 million from our CLO debt investments, and
• approximately $0.6 million from other sources.
• The weighted average yield of our CLO debt investments at current cost was approximately 9.4% as of June 30, 2017.
• The weighted average effective yield of our CLO equity investments at current cost was approximately 18.7% as of June 30, 2017.
• The weighted average cash yield of our CLO equity investments at current cost was approximately 26.4% as of June 30, 2017.
- Net increase in net assets from operations was approximately $8.5 million, or approximately $0.37 per share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2017, including:
• Net investment income of approximately $9.8 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2017;
• Net realized gains of approximately $1.5 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2017; and
• Net unrealized depreciation of approximately $2.8 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
- During the quarter ended June 30, 2017, we made additional CLO investments of approximately $95.7 million.
- During the quarter ended June 30, 2017, we received approximately $39.1 million from sales of our CLO investments. Additionally, we received cash proceeds of approximately $7.0 million from the repayment of a CLO warehouse facility.
- During the quarter ended June 30, 2017, we issued a total of 1,369,519 shares of common stock pursuant to an “at-the-market” offering, resulting in net proceeds of approximately $14.6 million after deducting the sales agent’s commissions and offering expenses.
- On June 14, 2017, we sold 2,729,415 shares of our newly designated 6.75% Series 2024 Term Preferred Shares at a public offering price of $25 per share, raising approximately $66.0 million in net proceeds, after deducting underwriting commissions and offering expenses. These shares are currently traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol OXLCM.
- On July 14, 2017 (the “Redemption Date”), we redeemed all of the issued and outstanding shares (an aggregate of 2,020,179 shares) of our 8.125% Series 2024 Term Preferred Stock, which was traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol OXLCN, for a redemption price of $25 per share plus $0.07336 in accrued but unpaid dividends per share to the Redemption Date, for an aggregate redemption price of $25.07336 per share.
- Our Board of Directors has previously declared the following distribution on our common stock:
|Quarter Ending||Record Date||Payment Date||Amount Per Share|
|September 30, 2017||September 15, 2017||September 29, 2017||$0.40|
Our Board of Directors has also declared the required monthly dividends on our Series 2023 Term Preferred Shares and Series 2024 Term Preferred Shares (each, a “Share”), as follows:
|Record Dates||Payment Dates|
|Series 2023||$0.15625||September 15, October 17, November 16||September 29, October 31, November 30|
|Series 2024||$0.140625||September 15, October 17, November 16||September 29, October 31, November 30|
In accordance with their terms, each of the Series 2023 Term Preferred Shares and Series 2024 Term Preferred Shares will pay a monthly dividend at a fixed rate of 7.50% and 6.75%, respectively, of the $25.00 per share liquidation preference, or $1.875 and $1.6875 per share per year, respectively. This fixed annual dividend rate is subject to adjustment under certain circumstances, but will not in any case be lower than 7.50% and 6.75% per year, respectively, for each of the Series 2023 Term Preferred Shares and Series 2024 Term Preferred Shares.
Supplemental Information Regarding Core Net Investment Income
On a supplemental basis, we provide information relating to core net investment income, which is a non-GAAP measure. This measure is provided in addition to, but not as a substitute for, net investment income determined in accordance with GAAP. Our non-GAAP measures may differ from similar measures by other companies, even if similar terms are used to identify such measures. Core net investment income represents net investment income adjusted for additional cash income distributions received, or entitled to be received (if any, in either case), on our CLO equity investments.
Income from investments in the “equity” class securities of CLO vehicles, for GAAP purposes, is recorded using the effective interest method based upon an effective yield to the expected redemption utilizing estimated cash flows compared to the cost, resulting in an effective yield for the investment; the difference between the actual cash received or income distributions entitled to be received and the effective yield calculation is an adjustment to cost. Accordingly, investment income recognized on CLO equity securities in the GAAP statement of operations differs from the cash distributions actually received by us during the period (referred to below as “CLO equity adjustments”).
Further, in order to continue to qualify to be taxed as a regulated investment company (“RIC”), we are required, among other things, to distribute at least 90% of our investment company taxable income annually. Therefore, core net investment income may provide a better indication of estimated taxable income for a reporting period than does GAAP net investment income, although we can offer no assurance that will be the case as the ultimate tax character of our earnings cannot be determined until tax returns are prepared after the end of a fiscal year. We note that these non-GAAP measures may not be useful indicators of taxable earnings, particularly during periods of market disruption and volatility.
The following table provides a reconciliation of net investment income to core net investment income for the three months ended June 30, 2017:
|Three Months Ended|
|June 30, 2017|
|Net investment income||$||9,782,326||$||0.424|
|CLO equity adjustments||2,311,291||0.100|
|Core net investment income||$||12,093,617||$||0.524|
A presentation containing further detail regarding our quarterly results of operations has been posted to our website under the Investor Relations section at Oxford Lane Presentation.
We will host a conference call to discuss our first fiscal quarter results today, Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM ET. The toll free dial-in number will be 1-844-792-3730. There will be a recorded replay of the call available for 30 days after the call. If you are interested in hearing the recording, please dial 1-877-344-7529. The replay pass-code number is 10111298.
About Oxford Lane Capital Corp.
Oxford Lane Capital Corp. is a publicly-traded registered closed-end management investment company. It currently seeks to achieve its investment objective of maximizing risk-adjusted total return by investing in securitization vehicles which, in turn, primarily invest in senior secured loans made to companies whose debt is unrated or is rated below investment grade.
This press release contains forward-looking statements subject to the inherent uncertainties in predicting future results and conditions. Any statements that are not statements of historical fact (including statements containing the words “believes,” “plans,” “anticipates,” “expects,” “estimates” and similar expressions) should also be considered to be forward-looking statements. Certain factors could cause actual results and conditions to differ materially from those projected in these forward-looking statements. These factors are identified from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We undertake no obligation to update such statements to reflect subsequent events, unless required to do so by law.
Source: Oxford Lane Capital Corp.
Contact: Bruce Rubin 203-983-5280
Source:Oxford Lane Capital Corp.