MELBOURNE, Aug 23 (Reuters) - London metals slipped on Wednesday as the dollar stood tall ahead of a meeting of global central bankers at Jackson Hole in the United States later in the week.
* LONDON COPPER: London Metal Exchange copper had slipped 0.6 percent to $6,542 a tonne by 0216 GMT, after ending little changed in the previous session, when prices touched their highest since November 2014 at $6,649 a tonne.
* SHANGHAI COPPER: Shanghai Futures Exchange copper dropped 0.7 percent to 51,370 yuan ($7,713) a tonne.
* SHANGHAI ZINC: ShFE zinc fell 2.1 percent as new measures set down by the bourse to cool trading came into effect. The price differential between ShFE and LME zinc and lead prices has been encouraging for Chinese imports for most of August, also suggesting greater deliveries into September.
* JAPAN MANUFACTURING: Japanese manufacturing activity expanded at the fastest pace in three months in August as domestic and export orders rebounded, a preliminary private survey showed on Wednesday, highlighting that global demand remains buoyant.
* INDONESIA: Indonesia expects to strike an agreement this month to allow Freeport McMoRan Inc to keep operating its huge copper mine in Papua in the coming decades, the country's mining and energy minister said on Tuesday.
* CHILE: BHP Billiton's Escondida copper mine in Chile has recovered from a six-week strike faster than expected, with output now running at normal levels, an executive with the company said on Tuesday.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Asian stocks edged higher on Wednesday to extend a global rally spurred by gains for tech shares on Wall Street and miners in Europe, while the dollar was buoyant against the euro and yen ahead of the Jackson Hole gathering.
DATA/EVENT AHEAD (GMT) 0700 Speech by ECB President Mario Draghi in Germany 0700 France Markit manufacturing flash PMI Aug 0730 Germany Markit manufacturing flash PMI Aug 0800 Euro zone Markit manufacturing flash PMI Aug 1345 U.S. Markit manufacturing flash PMI Aug 1400 Euro zone Consumer confidence flash Aug 1400 U.S. New home sales Jul PRICES
BASE METALS PRICES 0222 GMT Three month LME copper 6540.5 Most active ShFE copper 51360 Three month LME aluminum 2069.5 Most active ShFE 16170
Three month LME zinc 3093.5 Most active ShFE zinc 25680 Three month LME lead 2399.5 Most active ShFE lead 19560 Three month LME nickel 11280 Most active ShFE nickel 91150 Three month LME tin 20350 Most active ShFE tin 142160
BASE METALS ARBITRAGE
LME/SHFE COPPER LMESHFCUc3 541.19 LME/SHFE ALUMINIUM LMESHFALc3 158.61 LME/SHFE ZINC LMESHFZNc3 1079.53 LME/SHFE LEAD LMESHFPBc3 160.96 LME/SHFE NICKEL LMESHFNIc3 1653.41
($1 = 6.6601 Chinese yuan renminbi)
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Joseph Radford)