(Adds comment, detail, updates prices) MELBOURNE, Sept 27 (Reuters) - London copper rose for the first time in the past six sessions on Wednesday, as positions were closed ahead of the end of the third quarter and before the start of a week-long holiday in China next week. The stronger dollar and increasing worries over flagging economic growth in China, the world's biggest industrial metals consumer, are capping prices. "Overall it feels like we are in full on range trading mode..(I'm) concerned that broader sentiment towards the base complex may be shifting," Matt France, head of institutional sales for Asia at Marex said in a report. "For me these are low conviction markets at present so trying to stay nimble and trade in very short time frames seems the most appropriate plan right now."
* London Metal Exchange copper edged up 0.7 percent to $6,458 a tonne by 0700 GMT, following a 0.6 percent loss in the previous session. Prices had earlier slipped to $6,415 a tonne, near a trough hit last Friday at $6,366 a tonne, which was the lowest since mid-August.
* SHFE COPPER: Shanghai Futures Exchange copper rebounded from early losses to trade little changed at 50,540 yuan ($7,614) a tonne. COPPER SPREADS: The cash to three-month spread on copper has widened to the most in a decade <CMCU0-3>, signalling a lack of interest in spot metal, which traders said was a mix of funds rolling positions and lacklustre consumer demand.
* ZINC: LME zinc climbed 0.7 percent, paring Tuesday's 1 percent losses while LME lead fell to 0.2 percent.
* NICKEL PREMIUMS: Premiums for nickel in Shanghai bonded warehouses surged by $55 to $295 a tonne, suggesting some short holders may be rushing to cover ahead of the China holiday next week <0#BASEBW-SHMET>
* FED: The Federal Reserve needs to continue gradual rate hikes despite broad uncertainty about the path of inflation, Fed Chair Janet Yellen said on Tuesday in remarks that acknowledged the central bank's struggles to forecast one of its key policy objectives.
* CHINA ECONOMY: China's economic growth likely slipped in the third quarter but was still in far better shape than last year, a private survey showed on Wednesday, while adding that major risks are looming for 2018.
* US ECONOMY: U.S. consumer confidence fell in September and home sales dropped to an eight-month low in August due to the impact of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, supporting the view that the storms would hurt economic growth in the third quarter.
* BLOCKCHAIN: Singapore is aiming to position itself as a hub for blockchain development in commodity trading, with start-ups looking to boost access to trade finance and eliminate the opportunity for fraud. PRICES
BASE METALS PRICES
Three month LME copper 6456.5 Most active ShFE copper 50530 Three month LME 2129.5
Most active ShFE 16490
Three month LME zinc 3142 Most active ShFE zinc 25890 Three month LME lead 2477.5 Most active ShFE lead 20700 Three month LME nickel 10560 Most active ShFE nickel 84970 Three month LME tin 20715 Most active ShFE tin 147200
BASE METALS ARBITRAGE
LME/SHFE COPPER LMESHFCUc3 480.15 LME/SHFE ALUMINIUM LMESHFALc3 85.93 LME/SHFE ZINC LMESHFZNc3 1000.38 LME/SHFE LEAD LMESHFPBc3 367.74 LME/SHFE NICKEL LMESHFNIc3 2042.5
($1 = 6.6363 Chinese yuan renminbi)
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Richard Pullin and Christian Schmollinger)