(Adds that judge gave no details, background on case, details of upcoming press briefing by U.S. Attorney's Office)
WILMINGTON, Del., Oct 10 (Reuters) - Wilmington Trust Corp has reached an agreement on criminal charges that the bank concealed its deteriorating condition from regulators and investors in 2009 and 2010, a U.S. judge said on Tuesday, just as a trial was set to begin. U.S. District Judge Richard Andrews said the trial against the four individual defendants, who are former Wilmington Trust executives, was postponed until March 12, 2018.
The judge did not provide details on the deal. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Wilmington will hold a press briefing at 11:30 a.m. EDT.
The U.S. government, criticized for a dearth of prosecutions tied to the 2008 financial crisis, was scheduled to spend eight weeks making its case.
The bank and the former executives were indicted on 19 counts for allegedly hiding from regulators and investors the deteriorating condition of its loans in 2009 and 2010, when it was bought by M&T Bank Corp of Buffalo, New York.
M&T was not charged.
Founded by the du Pont family in 1903, Wilmington Trust is the only bank that received federal bailout money under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to be indicted, although 97 individuals have been indicted as a result of TARP-related investigations.
The financial crisis was sparked by the bursting of a housing bubble that had been fueled by loose lending standards.
During the crisis and accompanying recession, regulators seized more than 300 banks, including huge lenders such as IndyMac Bank and Washington Mutual. Most bankers who were prosecuted came from smaller institutions. (Reporting by Tom Hals in Wilmington, Del.; Additional reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by David Gregorio and Matthew Lewis)