U.S. News

NYC terror suspect tells authorities he exploded bomb in the name of ISIS

Key Points
  • A crude bomb explodes during morning hour under New York's Port Authority bus terminal.
  • Officials say the suspect, 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, was among the wounded.
  • "This was an attempted terrorist attack," Mayor Bill de Blasio says.
NYC Mayor: This was an attempted terrorist attack

A low tech device exploded during rush hour Monday morning at New York's Port Authority, the world's busiest bus terminal, injuring four people, including the man carrying the device.

The suspect, identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, was taken into custody, city officials said. NYPD confirmed the suspect detonated what is believed to be a crude bomb in Port Authority. He and three others suffered injuries that are not life threatening, the NYPD said.

"This was an attempted terrorist attack," Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference at the scene.

Ullah told investigators that he attempted the attack in the name of ISIS, a senior law enforcement official said to NBC News. The official says Ullah was angry over Muslims being killed around the world, adding that the suspect went online to watch ISIS propaganda and learn how to make explosives.

The New York Taxi and Limousine Commission told Reuters the suspect had a limousine's driver license from 2012 to 2015, which then expired. Ullah is from the Bangladeshi city of Chittagong and is a U.S. resident, the country's police chief said. He had no criminal record there and last visited Bangladesh on Sept. 8, according to Reuters.

U.S. Officials release a passport photo for Akayed Ullah, the suspected terrorist arrested for setting of an explosive device in a subway tunnel between 7th and 8th Ave on Dec. 11, 2017.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo was also on the scene shortly after the attack and urged commuters to remain resilient.

"We're not going to allow them to disrupt us — that's exactly what they want, and that's exactly what they're not going to get," Cuomo said.

The explosion happened around 7:20 a.m. ET at the bus terminal, which is near New York's Times Square. City officials said the explosion happened in a pedestrian tunnel under 42nd Street between 7th and 8th avenues.

Police respond to a reported explosion at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on December 11, 2017 in New York.
Bryan R. Smith | AFP | Getty Images

The MTA resumed subway service at affected stations in the afternoon, as the A, C, and E subway lines were evacuated after the incident and trains were bypassing the Port Authority station in both directions.

NYPD tweet

The White House said in a tweet President Donald Trump has been briefed on the New York City explosion.

@PressSec: .@POTUS has been briefed on the explosion in New York City

New Jersey Transit said in a tweet that bus service at Port Authority "may experience delays" due to the active situation. Greyhound also said all "inbound and outbound" buses were canceled until further notice, with en-route buses being rerouted to Newark, New Jersey.

@NJTRANSIT: Bus service to/from Port Authority Bus Terminal may experience delays due to police activity in the building.

WATCH: New York City officials confirm explosion near Times Square

New York City officials confirm explosion near Times Square