The CNBC Business News Associates Program is an 18 month introductory program designed to give participants real-world news experience. Aspiring journalists with diverse backgrounds rotate thorough a series of assignments in the CNBC Newsroom including working for CNBC.com, working on the CNBC TV Newsdesk and a CNBC live television show. Participants will gain experience working in the control room during a live broadcast, working directly with reporters and covering breaking news.
Our highly competitive program identifies outstanding aspiring journalists who bring diverse backgrounds to news production and news coverage. The program represents CNBC's strong commitment to developing a diverse editorial staff within CNBC. The News Associates program is designed to attract candidates of racial, ethnic, economic and geographical diversity, as well as candidates with disabilities.
The News Associates program is a fast-track opportunity to develop network level news-gathering and production skills. It is not designed to train people who wish to be on-air reporters. Participants work on programs such as Squawk Box, as a producer on the assignment desk and on CNBC.com.
Over 80 percent of the News Associates who've completed the program have gone on to various producing positions with CNBC. Some are currently with the Assignment Desk, CNBC.com, various CNBC shows and MSNBC.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to work in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV and complete the essay questions through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
- Must be 18 years or greater.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in United States through September 2026.
- Must be willing to work overtime, nights, holidays, and weekends, often with short notice.
- Must be willing to sign an 18 month employment contract committing to remain with the company for 18 months.
- Journalism experience.
- Interest in Business News.
- Highly motivated individuals.
- Commitment to television and digital news production as a career.
- Solid writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Proven leadership skills.
During the application period, you are able to upload your resume and answer the following questions:
- In terms of diverse life experiences, what separates you from the rest of the candidates for the program?
- Identify an issue that was recently covered in the news and explain why you think it was (or was not) newsworthy.
- Write about an experience, place or person that triggered your interest in journalism.
- Describe a situation in which you witnessed empathy in action.
- Media outlets have long been described as having a responsibility to the public. What does this responsibility mean to you and can this responsibility be abused?
- Please describe your perspective on how recent domestic or global economic or business news events have been covered by one or more broadcast or cable news outlets.
- Compare and contrast the differences between digital and broadcast storytelling. What are the benefits and drawbacks of each format?
- Identify a societal issue that seldom attracts the attention of the news media. How would you cover this issue as a journalist?
- Which journalism associations, if any, are you affiliated with?
- Which professional publications (e.g. trade magazines), if any, do you subscribe to?
- Please indicate the countries where you are legally authorized to work.
- Are you legally authorized to work in the United States without NBCU sponsorship through September 2026?
- Please indicate which languages you have conversationally fluent.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we will only be able to respond to those students in whom we have interest. If you are contacted for an interview, in most cases, you will speak with, or meet someone from CNBC. A final decision is made after a final in person interview.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package and the professional advantages of an environment that supports your development and recognizes your achievements. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.