UPDATE 2-Tesco fraud trial abandoned after defendant has heart attack

* Jury in Tesco fraud trial discharged

* Prosecutors to decide next month on retrial

* Defendants denied the charges (Adds details, quote)

LONDON, Feb 6 (Reuters) - The fraud trial of three former Tesco directors was abandoned on Tuesday after one of them suffered a heart attack, more than four months after the high-profile case began.

Carl Rogberg, the 51-year-old former finance director of Tesco UK, is awaiting an operation in hospital following a heart attack last week, prompting Judge Deborah Taylor to say it would not be right and proper to continue with the much-delayed trial.

Prosecutors will now decide whether to pursue a new trial, with a decision due on March 2. The judge on Tuesday lifted a reporting restriction which had been placed on Rogberg having suffered a heart attack.

Rogberg and his fellow defendants Christopher Bush, 52, the former managing director of Tesco UK; and John Scouler, 49, the former UK food commercial director, had all denied any wrongdoing regarding a 2014 profit overstatement.

Rogberg's solicitor Neil O'May told reporters his client was devastated that the jury had been discharged.

"He was always very anxious that the jury should be allowed to reach its verdict and is desperately sorry that they were not allowed to do so," he said, adding that Rogberg had waived his rights to attend the latter stages of the trial.

The case centres on Tesco's 2014 announcement to the stock exchange that its profit forecast had been overstated by 250 million pounds ($328 million), mainly due to supplier deals which were booked too early.

Tesco's disclosure saw its shares tumble and plunged Britain's biggest retailer into the worst crisis in its near 100-year history.

The case, which began on Sept. 29, had been nearing a conclusion, but the jury of seven men and four women at Southwark Crown Court were told on Monday it had been stopped after Rogberg was admitted to hospital last week.

The trial had originally been expected to finish before Christmas but was delayed due to the judge being ill and a juror taking a pre-planned holiday. (Editing by Stephen Addison and Alexander Smith)