MORRISTOWN, N.J., March 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- ProSight, a leader in differentiated specialty insurance, today reported strong financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2017. The company continues to show strong growth, and again benefited from minimal exposure to catastrophes.
"Our business model continues to gain considerable momentum with strong profit and growth across our portfolio," said Joe Beneducci, CEO of ProSight. "The second half of 2017 demonstrated the benefit of our repatriated business profits from the UK and contributed to a run-rate ROE of 9.5%. While we're excited about the core strength and success of our business, we're most excited about what still lies ahead."
Beneducci added, "In 2018, we plan on launching more exciting and innovative products and solutions that deliver superior value to our customers, and further differentiate us from traditional insurance companies."
- 2017 full year gross premium of $819.5 million represents growth of 6.5% versus 2016.
- Excluding a planned reduction in commercial auto premium, premium growth was 10.6%.
- Pre-tax profit for the US-Produced business was $36.6 million and the net combined ratio was 98.4%.
- The net loss ratio of 63.6% was an improvement of 8.8 points versus 2016. The loss ratio improvement reflects the benefits of a significant reduction in commercial auto losses.
- Underwriting results continued to reflect the resilience to catastrophe exposures. The full year impact of catastrophe losses was less than $5.0 million pre-tax, gross and net of reinsurance.
- Run-rate Return on Equity of 9.5%.
- Record pre-tax profit for the fourth quarter of $26.0 million and $45.8 million for the full year 2017.
- Net combined ratio was 96.2% and 97.4% for the quarter and full year, respectively.
- The fourth quarter of 2017 marked the second reporting period for inclusion of the profitable, repatriated business from the former UK operations.
- Statutory surplus grew in 2017 by $78.6 million, or 22.1%.
About ProSight Specialty Insurance
ProSight Specialty Insurance is an innovative property and casualty insurance company that designs solutions to help customers solve their business problems. Each solution is targeted to enhance customers' operating performance. ProSight focuses on select niche industries, deploying differentiated underwriting and claims expertise and then works exclusively with specialized distributors to deliver value. ProSight is fueled by a cultural desire to succeed at uncommon challenges, making the business performance of its customers a top priority. The underwriting members of the ProSight Specialty Insurance (ProSight) group, New York Marine and General Insurance Company, Southwest Marine and General Insurance Company, and Gotham Insurance Company, are rated "A-" (Excellent) by A.M. Best. Based in Morristown, NJ, ProSight has regional offices in Los Angeles, CA, Petaluma, CA, Alpharetta, Georgia and New York, NY. More information about ProSight and its member insurers can be found at www.prosightspecialty.com.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/prosight-specialty-insurance-reports-strong-4q-and-2017-full-year-financial-results-300606287.html
SOURCE ProSight Specialty Insurance