×

Conor McGregor turns himself in to police following attack on bus at UFC 223 media day

Conor McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief stemming from an incident at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, a police spokesperson confirmed to USA TODAY Sports early Friday morning.

Detective Adam Navarro of the New York Police Department said McGregor, 29, is in police custody and being held in the 78th precinct. He was expected to appear in court later Friday.

A second MMA fighter — 25-year-old Cian Cowley of Dublin — has also been charged as a result of the incident, Navarro said. Cowley faces one charge of assault and one charge of criminal mischief.

The charges come one day after cell-phone videos showed McGregor, arguably the most recognizable figure in mixed-martial arts, hurling objects at a bus as it was leaving Barclays Centerafter a media event for UFC 223. Police were told that McGregor and roughly 10 other people "became irate and began throwing various items, damaging property at the location," according to police spokesperson George Tsourovakas.

One person on the bus told MMAjunkie that McGregor was searching for headliner Khabib Nurmagomedov and "went bananas."

"A million security guards had to restrain him," said Rick Little, the coach of one of the fighters who was on Saturday night's fight card, Michael Chiesa. "Everything happened so fast, it was just like we got jumped."

The incident caused Chiesa and another fighter, Ray Borg, to withdraw from their scheduled fights this weekend due to face and eye injuries. UFC president Dana White removed a third fighter, Artem Lobov, from the fight card because of his involvement; Lobov is one of McGregor's SBG Ireland teammates.

"This is the most disgusting thing that has happened in the history of the company," White told reporters Thursday.

More from USA Today:
Warriors show 'pathetic effort' as Pacers pass 'big test'
Jordan Spieth shoots 66 to lead Masters opening round by two shots
Tiger Woods shoots unspectacular 73 at Masters, but it's still a success

The UFC said in a statement Thursday night that the incident was "completely unacceptable" and the organization is working to determine consequences for those involved.

"Immediately, Lobov has been removed from this weekend's card and individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow's ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday's event at Barclays Center," the UFC said in the statement.

McGregor, a former lightweight and featherweight champion in UFC, has become one of the stars of his sport, best known for his antics and bravado leading up to fights. Last year, he famously switched venues and faced Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring, losing by technical knockout in his first professional boxing match.