(Adds detail, updates prices) MELBOURNE, April 6 (Reuters) - London copper eased on Friday as the dollar rose, but steadied for a second week as expectations of rising seasonal demand in the second quarter supported prices.
* COPPER: London Metal Exchange copper slipped 0.7 percent to $6,768.50 a tonne by 0740 GMT, paring a 1.4 percent advance from Thursday. Prices were set to climb by half a percent this week, the second such gain in a row. This suggests prices may be settling after logging a 7 percent loss in the first quarter, the biggest downdraft since the fourth quarter of 2015.
* TRADE: China warned it would fight back "at any cost" with fresh measures to safeguard its interests if the United States sticks to its protectionist actions, after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened an extra $100 billion in tariffs in a worsening trade dispute between the world's two biggest economies.
* SHFE: The Shanghai Futures Exchange is closed for a second day on Friday for the Tomb Sweeping Festival and will reopen on Monday.
* TRADE TENSIONS: The United States is willing to negotiate with China on trade, but only if talks are serious, as previous attempts produced little progress, a senior U.S. official told Reuters late on Thursday as trade tensions between the two nations escalated.
* DOLLAR: The dollar edged higher on Friday, heading for a second week of gains, as investors cut some bets against the currency before monthly U.S. payrolls data that may signal price pressures are growing in the world's biggest economy.
* U.S. ECONOMY: U.S. job growth likely slowed in March as the boost from mild temperatures faded, but the gains were probably more than enough to push the unemployment rate down to 4.0 percent, indicating the labor market continues to tighten.
* CONGO: International mining companies have insisted that Democratic Republic of Congo amend portions of a new mining code to respect exemptions they were granted by its predecessor.
* BATTERIES: China's securities regulator has approved the 13.1 billion yuan ($1.97 billion) initial public offering of Chinese battery giant Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL), the official Xinhua news agency said on Thursday.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
DATA/EVENT AHEAD (GMT) 0600 Germany Industrial output Feb 0645 France Trade data Feb 0645 France Current account Feb 1230 U.S. Nonfarm payrolls Mar 1230 U.S. Unemployment rate Mar 1730 Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell speaks on the U.S. economic outlook before the Economic Club of Chicago 0738 gmt
Three month LME copper 6768.5 Most active ShFE copper 0 Three month LME aluminum 1996 Most active ShFE aluminum 0 Three month LME zinc 3227.5 Most active ShFE zinc 0 Three month LME lead 2366 Most active ShFE lead 0 Three month LME nickel 13150 Most active ShFE nickel 0 Three month LME tin 21055 Most active ShFE tin 0
(Reporting by Melanie Burton; Editing by Michael Perry and Biju Dwarakanath)